Post-Ride Food

SGT74
SGT74 Posts: 22
Twice a week I go out riding for up to two hours straight after work. The problem is I dont tend to get home till about 8.30pm, and I still have to sort myself out a late feed.

Any suggestions of the best kind of thing to eat at this time considering I've not usually had anything bar a sports drink since about 3pm in the afternoon when I tend to have some fruit? I know its not an ideal time to be eating, but I dont want to eat before the ride, and Im starving by the time I get home afterwards.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Ummm, why can't you just have your dinner at 8.30?

I know it's probably not ideal to be eating that late, but if you're hungry then I don't see that it would hurt that much! It's not like it's every day is it? I ride on a Wednesday night and we don't eat until about 10pm and I don't think it's doing me any harm :D

Just a thought!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • SGT74
    I guess Im just looking for suggestions for a quickly prepared meal thats not too stodgy - I dont really fancy spending 30 mins over the cooker when I get home after a ride, and also need to shower, relax etc. before bed.
  • alf01
    alf01 Posts: 19
    have a couple of nana's before you go out

and something light but with carbs after

something quick I have used is cous cous with some tomatoes cucumber feta cheese & olives

just boil a kettle, pour the boiling water on the cous cous with a bit of , leave it covered for 3 minutes or so then stir in the tomatoes chopped up cheese cubes n olives.

Its not a taste sensation but will fill the hole in about 5 minutes if you are organised
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    SGT74 wrote:
    I guess Im just looking for suggestions for a quickly prepared meal thats not too stodgy - I dont really fancy spending 30 mins over the cooker when I get home after a ride, and also need to shower, relax etc. before bed.

Ah, ok :D

We usually have soup when we come in late - not stodgy and very quick.

Or bung some fishcakes or something in the oven, have a shower, then eat them with some salad when cooked. Nice and light and although they take a while to cook you can be sorting yourself out so not wasting any time?

Fresh pasta? That cooks in a few minutes.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Milkie
    Milkie Posts: 377
    Jacket potatoes, two options..

Set the timer on the cooker so they should be about ready when you get in..

Stick them in the microwave, then blast them for 15 mins in the oven to get the nice cripsy jacket...

I'm getting hungry just thinking about jacket potatoe with chilli con carne and cheese. :)
  • SGT74
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a try over the coming weeks, so feel free to have other ideas. I'll be trawling Tesco for inspiration on Sunday :)
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Yeah jackets work really well after about 9 min in the microwave, 5 on one side, 4 on the other, 15 in the oven smeared in butter and salt. But you could probably get away without turning it, just have it in the microwave whilst you unpack and oven whilst you shower.
    Or my fave fast food, Pasta and pesto. You can get quick cook pasta which literally takes 3 min to boil. Stir in a heap of pesto and grate cheddar over the top. Grab a pasta cook book for other ideas.

Or pot noodle. Gotta love pot noodle.
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    Kebab? Fish and Chips?
  • anytear691
    anytear691 Posts: 84
    eat simple carbs like white toast with peanut butter, your muscles will need there glucose supply refilling and if there is nothing to eat and they have stopped buring fat (which stops not too long after exercise) they will start eating them selves and you will lose muscle . Sam
    "Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Wouldn't worry about eatting at that time of night as you'll still be burning it off from the ride. Just stop at the chippy on the way home, sorted!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    anything you crave, works for me. after tonights ride i had a chicken breast sarny with colslaw on wholemeal. it was either that or burger and beans but the chicken won as it was quicker, i guess i was craving protein. oh and a banana :)
  • SGT74
    Steve_F wrote:
    Wouldn't worry about eatting at that time of night as you'll still be burning it off from the ride. Just stop at the chippy on the way home, sorted!

Don't say that - there are three chippies on may way home :)
  • TonyWard
    TonyWard Posts: 149
    SGT74 wrote:

Get married :D