Help !!!!!! Leg pain with new S.P.D pedals !!!!!!!!!

daz51
daz51 Posts: 159
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hey,

I put some new S.P.D pedals on my road bike and the troubles have begun.

My left leg it totally comfy its the right leg which is trouble. When i ride both sets of muscles at the top and bottom of my leg hurt at the back.

I have already lowered the saddle 5mm and that as not helped!, any ideas ?????

lower it more ???

Regards D

p.s we have been tightening the pedals up over the last few weeks as they were brand new and have worn in.

Comments

• lochindaal
    lochindaal Posts: 475
    I had a similar problem when I first got SPD pedals. Your saddle should remain at a correct fit height there is an article about it on here somewhere.

What fixed it for me was slight adjustment of the cleat. A small amount can make a big difference to your pedalling stroke. I would suggest trying it in a different position.
  • daz51
    i,e, move the cleat on the shoe ???????? backwards or forwards ????
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    try both - cleat positioning is a bit of a black art by all accounts. - make sure you make the changes to both cleats though - not just the right leg.
  • tjm
    tjm Posts: 190
    also check the angle of your feet compared to when riding non spd pedals. I found I had a slightly twisted cleat- didn't notice anything wrong except lots strange of muscle and knee pains but only in one leg. I eventually realised I was peddling slight heal out on that side (or rather not heal in as I naturally do). Twisted the cleat a fraction and it is fine now.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    gkerr4 wrote:
    try both - cleat positioning is a bit of a black art by all accounts. - make sure you make the changes to both cleats though - not just the right leg.

Not right. Only do this if your gait is exactly the same on both sides. If, for example, you walk with your left foot slightly turned out, your cleat positioning should reflect this. We are not all built symmetrically!! The setting of the cleat should place your foot in the same position on the pedal, as you adopt when walking. The float in the cleat will compensate, to some extent, for a slight error. Any good LBS should be able to advise on cleat positioning.
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    Also look at loosening the binding on the actualy pedal slighly. Allowing a little more movement on the peddle can make a difference.
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    lochindaal wrote:

What fixed it for me was slight adjustment of the cleat. A small amount can make a big difference to your pedalling stroke. I would suggest trying it in a different position.

Very very true. Hold each shoe heel down on a flat surface with the SPDs facing each other. How is the right shoe different from the comfy left?

Don't make too many adjustments at once or you will lose what you have done. i.e. don't change shoe cleat position and or saddle height. If your saddle was fine before put it back up and look at your shoe first.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    The saddle could be too low, now...
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • daz51
    surely though if its muscular pain i am over or under stretching ??? Knee pain would indicate the direction of my foot etc being wrong ????
  • Gr.uB
    Gr.uB Posts: 145
    Muscular pain could be your muscles having to work in a different way than they want to or are used to. So I would say not necessarily.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I had this problem to start with when I fitted SPD's. I adjusted the offending cleat on the shoe until it was ok. It took me a couple of ten mile rides to be sure, though.

Since then, I haven't touched them and they've been fine.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)