Screaming hams

Peak Times
Peak Times Posts: 81
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I managed a fairly long ride (for me) of 60k this weekend however the last 19k was over the Col du Portillon. After only a couple of k's climbing my hams were screaming resulting in having to walk/ride the last few k's over the col.

I tried a small ride yesterday but when even attempting a small climb the hams were again screaming.

Does anyone have a similar experience and an idea of what may be the cause.

Many thanks,
www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Disappointed to find this wasn't a food related post :wink:

Is it possible you are using too big a gear when you are climbing? Or possibly saddle height could be an issue - have you changed your position lately? Are your hamstrings cramping or are they just sore?
  • scherrit
    scherrit Posts: 360
    If your training doesn't include loads of (low rev) climbing, then when you first do more of it, your hammies may take a bit of a hammering because you will have done a lot more pulling up (or unweighting the pedal at least!) at low revs than you usually do.

My best guess is that this is just a bit of the "too much/too soon" issue. Your saddle may also be a fraction too far back, but this is pure speculation without actually looking at you.
    Best of luck, after 48 hours your best options may be warm baths, sauna, steam room, gentle stretching, massage, gentle ride, gentle walk, don'y sit still for too long before moving around a bit.
    Good luck,
    Scherrit.
    www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk
    If you're as fat as me, all bikes are bendy.
  • Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    Thanks chaps,

I have moved the saddle forward to see how it feels.
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    one thing you could do to make sure you have the best position is read through a bike setup article so you can adjust everything yourself -

I learnt a lot from the article in the link below -

http://www.cobr.co.uk/e-cobr_information/t_and_r_section/sections/terminilogy_technique/advanced_bike_fit/introduction.shtml
    cartoon.jpg