Training roads around London

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
Am on the move to London in July and am wondering where you roadies and MTBers train in London without heading out of town..am back cycling regularly but am worried moving to London will end that

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
    I start riding road in Richmond Park next week when my bike is finished, welcome to join me if you're anywhere near when you get to London 8)
  • dave_1
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    I start riding road in Richmond Park next week when my bike is finished, welcome to join me if you're anywhere near when you get to London 8)

cheers Rich, I'll message once down....
  • Hi - it very much depends where you land in London. If you're south west'ish, then Richmond Park is great, central maybe Regents Park (a very dull 2.7 mile loop), and then there's got to be other place to the east. For weekends its mainly a case of finding the easiest route out of London (30 minutes on a train marylebone gets you into the cotswolds, a something similar from waterloo gets you into the north downs)

Lots of folk, and clubs, to hool up with though

jon
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Epping Forest for MTB.

Otherwise take a SW bound train to Dorking.

For the weekend roadie stuff you need to tell us which part of London - the place is massive. I suggest moving to SE London – loads of options in the North Downs and beyond and only 20 minutes ride from Crystal Palace to the green belt. Plus Tuesday evening crit in Crystal Palace park and Thursday chaingangs to Sevenoaks (almost) and back.

Or alternatively there's Tuesdays evenings doing laps of Regents Park inner circle (though you'll need to join London Phoenix CC for that. 8))
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Don't forget Hillingdon - c1mile cycle circuit near Southall (West London). Racing on Tues, chain gang on Thurs, 10m TT on alternate Weds, racing also on Sat (I think) and all through the winter:
    http://www.hillingdoncyclecircuit.org.uk/

And of course there's the daily commuter race, taking part on every road into the centre of town at around 8am, heading out around 6pm....
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I live half a mile from Regents so the park is my bread and butters, so to speak. Hill intervals can be done nearby on the climb to Hampstead and Swains Lane if need be. Long rides, just head up Abbey Road, West Hampstead then towards Barnet, cut through Mill Hill and your in the lanes within half an hour, no need to go on trains. There's a good selection of hilly lanes around Essendon. I know heaps of routes here, so if you're central/north London give me a shout.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Hillingdon is open for anyone to ride when there are no events. I use it for interval training early on a Saturday morning, its just me and a couple of joggers. Gets a bit dull after a while but better then the turbo!

From SW London, as well as Richmond Park there are regular Sunday rides with London Dynamo and Kingston Wheelers into the North Downs around Box Hill.

In East London you can train around City Airport, long straight dual carriageways built in advance of development so almost empty of traffic at the moment, possibly not the most scenic option, but fast and reasonably safe as well as flat and windy.
  • dave_1
    Thanks to you all for your answers to my question above-putting my mind at ease as will be able to keep up weekly cycling-will hopefully bump into some of you in July
  • Dave

Welcome back to Blighty.

I moved to London 3 years ago from S Wales and my cycling really suffered for it. London can be a very frustrating place to ride.

However, much depends on where you live. I'm in SE London and the Crystal Palace and out route that I and a thousand others use can be very good. There's a good network of lanes with some interesting options (or maybe it just seems like that cos I'm in central London the rest of the time). Also there are lots of riders out there, which is great to see.

But nipping out for 90 minutes like I used to in Cardiff is now almost pointless. By the time I get back from work and get ready it then takes me 30 mins to get past the worst of the traffic and lights, and the same on the return leg. This makes midweek riding such a challenge that I may buy a turbo instead. Richmond Park is a very handy alternative if you live near it.

I commuted to work on the bike for a few months but it was a hassle and the training benefit was minimal - short route, lights galore, traffic etc.

My mate who I used to ride with moved from SE London to Islington and tells me he barely gets out now because it's such a joyless chore to get out of London proper.

Haven't tried getting the train. Again, I'd suggest that's a weekend only option.

So, if you haven't sorted your accommodation out yet, pick the right spot! :)

Cheers

Paul
  • dave_1
    Dave

Welcome back to Blighty.

I moved to London 3 years ago from S Wales and my cycling really suffered for it. London can be a very frustrating place to ride.

However, much depends on where you live. I'm in SE London and the Crystal Palace and out route that I and a thousand others use can be very good. There's a good network of lanes with some interesting options (or maybe it just seems like that cos I'm in central London the rest of the time). Also there are lots of riders out there, which is great to see.

But nipping out for 90 minutes like I used to in Cardiff is now almost pointless. By the time I get back from work and get ready it then takes me 30 mins to get past the worst of the traffic and lights, and the same on the return leg. This makes midweek riding such a challenge that I may buy a turbo instead. Richmond Park is a very handy alternative if you live near it.

I commuted to work on the bike for a few months but it was a hassle and the training benefit was minimal - short route, lights galore, traffic etc.

My mate who I used to ride with moved from SE London to Islington and tells me he barely gets out now because it's such a joyless chore to get out of London proper.

Haven't tried getting the train. Again, I'd suggest that's a weekend only option.

So, if you haven't sorted your accommodation out yet, pick the right spot! :)

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, thanks for that..I guess I will find a way round it...I have temp digs in North west London but will make a longer term decision once I see how work goes.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    ricadus wrote:
    Or alternatively there's Tuesdays evenings doing laps of Regents Park inner circle (though you'll need to join London Phoenix CC for that. 8))
    Wow can you now pay a fee and book the regents park the inner ring then :roll:
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    Are you one of the faux racers that recently been wrecking our attempts at a 2 hour structured club training session then buggering off after 30 minutes? :D
  • phil s
    ricadus wrote:
    Are you one of the faux racers that recently been wrecking our attempts at a 2 hour structured club training session then buggering off after 30 minutes? :D

Is that for real???
  • phil s
    phips wrote:

Hi Phil,

Sounds like you're in a similar area to me (I'm about a mile north of Regents Park) - your routes out of town would be welcomed knowledge! I always seem to end up heading down to Richmond (45 minutes of frustrating riding) or doing intervals on Swains Lane :) Do you have any of your routes on bikely.net? If not, feel free to PM me any good routes :)

Thanks!

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/paddington/968652035

Slight error on the section of road from Fortune Green Rd to Finchley Rd, chop off the vestigial little triangle... once you hit Milespit Hill it feels like you're out of London
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    nice route. would suggest adding the little lanes just west of wildhill and essendon for the extra out of saddle fun....
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    ricadus wrote:
    Not me sir! I stick to the outer loop the inner one makes me dizzy :D Shouldn't you at least advertise your training meet as a 'try and see thing' when looking to attract new riders. Just put the racer types into their own group - thats what everyone else does