numpties on the L2B

2»

Comments

• PostieJohn wrote:
    I'm enjoying reading your come down from your initial rant, but I think your flogging a dead horse.
    (I shall now try and clarify my post that Spen666 rightly pointed out doesn't make any sense)

It's NOT a cycling event, it's a charity fun ride.

The fact that people like us choose to use the excellent facilities to push ourselves towards targets, is our look out, not the funsters attempting to kill themselves and anyone else in their path, it's their event.

*applause*
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    PostieJohn wrote:
    I'm enjoying reading your come down from your initial rant,

Although after this year I did vow never to return.

I'm slowly calming down, mind you I now got some rather large bruises on my thigh, hip and arm although I've got most of the gravel out now :? . I wonder does a gravel burn do my credibility any good? Also I know that some cyclists allegedly shave their legs to help deal with gravel burns but why don't they shave their arms and elbows as well???

Still won't be sending x-mas cards to any numpties though.

See you at 6am next year :wink:
  • toby_g wrote:
    The start is not staggered by ability :(

Me and my friend, who are both competent, went with a group from work so set off in the 09:30 group. Big mistake, the first 2 hours we averaged 4 miles an hour, walking with bike for much of the hills even if they were only ~400 metres long or so. Very tedious.

4 miles an hour for two hours????
    You go faster from the back of the london marathon. :shock:
    Dan
  • PostieJohn
    PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
    [

4 miles an hour for two hours????
    You go faster from the back of the london marathon. :shock:

That's cos no 'runner' is stoopid enough to be also pushing a bike. :lol:
  • Phil Russell
    Phil Russell Posts: 1,736
    I sympathise with all those who went on the ride and expected to ride.. not walk.
    The cases given in this thread are just those that made me give up the 'ride' several years ago. It became no pleasure ... the slightest incline and people were getting off to walk. In itself that is no sin, but to not respect people who wanted, and could, to ride the inclines was inconsiderate in the extreme. If only the walkers (had) left space for riders to pass ... but no, it did (does) not happen ... they spread all over the road . The result was chaotic cycle jams that meant that no-one could ride, all had to walk. That was not my idea of a fun day out so I voted with my feet (or rather, wheels) and stopped participating.
    In the very early days, those that wanted to ride the inclines seemed to get more espect ... walkers kept left, especially on Ditchling, allowing riders to ride or grind their way past. Not now ... maybe there are just too many participants.
    I could also go on about the numpty lack of road sense in other areas too but I think I have said enough. My only comment is that if they also drive cars, heaven help us all.
    Cheers, Phil
  • MEATBALLS
    MEATBALLS Posts: 6
    I agree with scott mcavennie. Surely it is a fun day type ride - great for getting people who don't normally ride a bike out. Elitist attitudes don't really fit on what I understand to be a fun ride! How will more people get on their bikes if the first time they do they encounter some of the attitudes on this thread.
    If you really want to flex those muscles in an appropriate place get yourself down to the school sports day dad's race!
  • Phil Russell
    Phil Russell Posts: 1,736
    I appreciate your views Meatballs. In no way do I consider myself 'elitist'. I am no racer nor an ardent tourer. I cycle for pleasure and leisure ... the key word being 'cycle'. If other people are happy to participate in an event where for most of the time you are moving along at walking pace, if not walking, then so be it. But such an event is not for me .... I do not think this is an elitist atitude at all. If I get little enjoyment, why participate?
    Cheers, Phil
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    The negatives – walking, no bikes on trains, etc – are all influenced by the sheer numbers taking part. It's a congestion problem – the event is too big. Doesn't it have the largest number of participants of any ride in Europe?

Maybe there's scope for some bikely info for those that want it, showing alternative lanes to bypass the congestion hotspots (though by the sound of things that would mean an entire rogue route).
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    If it's a fun ride, as soon as they stop riding they should get booted, surely the hills aren't that big down south?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • PostieJohn
    Only Ditchling poses a question, and there's a fair deal of talking yourself out of it.
    It doesn't half 'loom up' on you.
    Or as it is a fun ride, lack of understanding as to how to get up it.

I pity the man walking from the 2nd bend (still not the proper climb) wearing a Polka Dot jersey. I think if Harry had seen him, at that point, it may well have got nasty :lol::lol::lol:
  • Harry B
    Harry B Posts: 1,239
    PostieJohn wrote:
    I pity the man walking from the 2nd bend (still not the proper climb) wearing a Polka Dot jersey. I think if Harry had seen him, at that point, it may well have got nasty :lol::lol::lol:

Was this the guy with the rather large beer belly? I saw him during the ride but not on Ditchling.

I did have a bit of a chuckle :)

I think the wearing of polka dot or yellow jerseys are fine as long as you can live up to them..at least a little bit. I'm sticking to black jersey and shorts at least until I can whizz up Ditchling at about 12mph (as one of our group did, though god knows how he avoided the numpties. He was only about 15 minutes adead of me)
  • PostieJohn
    Yep that's the fella.
    I didn't say anything to him, hey who am I to question what someone else wants to wear, but like you I personally wouldn't have dared carry that off myself.

I really felt for the woman who stepped off 1/2 way up the final straight, in the sunshine, so close. And a damn sight nearer to king of the Mountains.
  • Wildoo
    Wildoo Posts: 11
    I did the L2B for the first time in over 10 years as my 14 YO nephew needed an adult to accompany him. Last time I did it there were too many numptys so I knew what to expect. I think the basic rules are

1. Everyone is a numpty until proved otherwise
    2. Just because someone has a nice bike don't expect them to be able to handle it
    3. If you want to go fast enter a bloody road race not the L2B
    4. If you want to go far and test yourself enter a sportive instead
    5. Ride it on an MTB. This way you can dump it into a little gear and spin up the hills ride with the flow with full control and the ability avoid walkers and wobbly overgeared roadies.
    6. If you are fit enough you can keep pace with most of the roadies in an MTB on the L2B.
    7. The ride raises 000s for charity and will attract 000s of inexperienced cyclists.
    8. The 'lookalike' roadies are especially dangerous as they race along trying to proove they are fast. The reason they are on the L2B is that it is easy to look fast when overtaking mostly unfit or mildly fit occasional cyclists.

I got to Brighton with my nephew without either of us being taken out and it was worth it to see the smile on his face as he crossed the finish line. I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would but from now on its back to Sportives!
  • MrHulot
    MrHulot Posts: 173
    Mmmm... The first and last time I did L2B was 1984 with a dozen people from work (it was forced child labour :wink: ). We did it to raise money but were shocked at the antics of other riders. That year at least one rider and one marshal died and we all felt lucky to get away unscathed - since then we've done other events instead. All that has been said about L2B and delayed starts, virtually walking the first 10 miles, the mega jamb at lunchtime in that small village with a green and the Beacon must still be true some 24 years later. It's a shame as it could be much better.
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    this discussion reminds me of one on a running forum re: the great north run. it's also a massive charity event that gets thousands involved in the sport and should be commended as such. it didn't stop people moaning about the poor times and early walkers, but what do you expect? on a personal level i had to sprint the last 400 yards to beat some people dressed as novelty fruit. :oops:
  • overmars
    overmars Posts: 430
    RussAlf wrote:
    I was riding the whole of the South Downs Way this weekend and went through the road at ditchling beacon around mid day, ive never seen so many "cyclists" pushing up a "hill". I dont see how the proper cyclists that were stuck in there could have even ridin up there. It was a nightmare to cross the road. I would have hated to have been riding in that, i think it really is a case of letting the average joe have a bit of fun and leave the proper cycling to proper events.

8)
    http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa4/ ... on2008.flv

Looking at the vid I'm amazed at how many people there were on the hill. Reaching the top (and not having a collision) is a great feeling. But the chances of an accident are just too high.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Well done for getting up - it looks a complete nightmare. Where are the cars? Do they close roads for the event?
  • The roads in London are open to all traffic, which is why it was difficult to get out of London as you were in with the SUnday morning traffic. Police and marshals tried to stop everyone if the lights changed to red, but some people just then rode on the pavement to get around.

Some of the roads in the countryside were converted to one way, so cyclists had the left hand side, and cars had the right hand side, travelling in the same direction. There was a very high and visible police presence on all junctions with marhsals, and police motorcycles riding the course.

Once the major bottlenecks were cleared, i found the riding OK, you just had to be careful on the descents as some people liked to use the whole road without looking behind them to see who was coming up..often quickly!

I would do it again. It is not a race or sportive, it is a ride, a fun ride and a chance to potter around some lovely villages, without worrying about gold or silver awards.

The only other gripe i do have is Brighton.....what a nightmare to get out of. Could they have not put some sort of flow system or traffic control to get everyone out, it took us an hour to get out of the place.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • I hit Ditchling Beacon at around 10am. I'd say that 80% of people were walking up. I rode up it, and didn't have too many problems. Had to use my brakes once or twice but managed to keep going and usually just a quiet "coming through on your right" was enough to get people moving out of the way.

It seemed very busy, so I don't know what it would have been like later on.

I wasw amazed that out of the crowd that reached the top with me (walkers and riders), every single one of them bundled straight into the refreshments area. They all turned round and looked at me like I was an alien as I pedalled off - its flat and downhill from then on and you probably recover quicker if you carry on going - rest at the end with a nice cold guiness!