Carbon Vs Alu

Craigbes
Craigbes Posts: 74
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
I'm torn between a top end alu or a bottom end carbon framed bike. Although carbon appears to be the way forward in some peoples eyes it also appears to have some weight limitations. A few people i've spoken to have said that given my weight of 16 stone, i'd be better off with an alu frame. Any advice welcome :?

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Ali will be more robust over time, I think

I'd rather have a top end ali bike.

I'm sure others will disagree :lol:
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    Well, I rode a fairly basic full carbon frame around the potholed city streets for about 3 years with my weight at the time fluctuating between 16-17.5 stone and it didn't break so I don't think there is anything to worry about with regards to your weight.

Personally I'd rather have a top drawer aluminium frame than a cheap carbon one. In fact I replaced my carbon frame with just such a thing. Makes a much nicer bike IMO though things have come along a bit with regards to carbon in the past few years.
  • blorg
    blorg Posts: 1,169
    Most carbon frames should not have a problem with 16 stone, I wouldn't worry about that.
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    No at 16 stone you shouldn't have a problem, as alot of the thoughts from 3 - 5 years ago about cheap carbon have gone. The advances recently have by all reports accelerated immensleyin quality, If you go for a well respected maker then it will be fine and there are lots of posts on this forum with regard to carbon frames/bikes that are competitively priced
  • zaynan
    zaynan Posts: 180
    Achieve a more comfortable ride by budgeting for a carbon seatpost and carbon bars on the Alu bike (if it hasn't already got them). Or, buy a nice steel frame! :such as the Brian Rourke 953 - http://www.brianrourke.co.uk/rourke-reynolds-953-cycle-frameset-p-245.html Although the Rourke is quite exepnsive!
    www.practicalcycles.com
    The home of cargo bikes