Beginners guide to fitting tyres?

track40
track40 Posts: 20
edited June 2008 in MTB beginners
Ive recently bought some mountain king tyres to replace the fast trak LKs that came on my rock hopper.

I have the tyres, tyre levers and a bucket of soapy water in cause the tyres need a bit of lubing to fit and i have removed my wheels from my bike. Am i missing anything?

Should i deflate my inner tubes before i begin? Also do i fit them tread facing forward on the front wheel and tread facing backward on the rear wheel? or both treads facing forward as that seems more logical to me?

Cheers in advance

Tom

Comments

• Sir HC
    Sir HC Posts: 20,148
    Deflate the tubes before your remove the tyres, it will make it much easier.

Are there any markings on the tyre for which direction they should be pointing ?
    Intense Socom
    Inbred
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    Check the sidewalls of your tyres as they maybe directional, this means that they have to go on so the tread rolls forward, There's usually an arrow showing the direction of travel on the tyre sidewall.

As for innertubes deflate them fully before removing the tyre, personally I inflate them (slightly) in the tyre prior to putting the tyre back on the rim (I fnd it stops them twisting in the tyre).
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny