Cycle Computers - when it's off, it's off?

vanquished
vanquished Posts: 66
edited June 2008 in Commuting chat
Hi all - my boss gave me a LIDL cycle computer for the bike, so I've been trying it out. It seems OK, I think, but one slight quirk that's bugging me is that I have to remember to turn the device on for it to log even the distance accrued.

I'd (naively?) expected that even if the display wasn't, er, displaying, the chip would still be totting up the distance travelled, if nothing else.

Is this normal behaviour?
2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5

Comments

• karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    dunno about Lidl ones, but my Cateye and Halfords cheapo (yes, yes, i know...) both turn themselves on when the wheel spins and the magnet passes the sensor
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • vanquished
    vanquished Posts: 66
    urn themselves on when the wheel spins and the magnet passes the sensor

That's what I was expecting to happen with the Lidl. But it doesn't. Cheap (for my boss) for a reason, I guess. I got it for nowt, so shouldn't grumble, but may well stump up for a Cateye or similar in preference.
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    I used to have an expensive Shimano Flightdeck computer and you had to turn that on manually so I think it depends on the type of computer.
    Steve C
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    it might be a setting. My cateye can do either dependign on how you have set it to perform.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    My cheaper Cateyes start automatically, I have to remember to switch my Polar computer on AND press "Start" before it does anything.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • chewa
    chewa Posts: 164
    One of my Cateyes has to be turned on, one is automatic (though you can set it to manual.) I have a Lidl one on one bike (has HR, temps calories etc) and it has to be switched on.

I normally notice the blank screen after a few yards. one way to get round it is to take it off when you park the bike and put it in your helmet or gloves. You never forget to turn it on when you put it back on.
    plus je vois les hommes, plus j'admire les chiens

Black 531c tourer
    FCN 7
    While dahn saff Dahon Speed 6 FCN 11!!!
    Also 1964 Flying Scot Continental
    1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (columbus slx)
    BTwin Rockrider 8.1
    Unicycle
    Couple of others!