A regular ride in Essex.

muddylegs
muddylegs Posts: 485
edited May 2012 in MTB rides
I was thinking about organising a regular ride out in the evening over the summer months. Any body living in and close to the Langdon Hills area is more than welcome to attend or if you are prepared to travel then you are welcome.
Leaving at 7.00 and riding for a couple of hours or so. There may be a stop at the pub.
All riding on bridleways plenty of hills (up and down) good for fitness.
Secure parking in the carpark, bike washing facilities if required.
What do people think if you can say yes or no then I will have some idea if it is worth taking further.
Here are some dates to give you an idea of what I am considering.
They are all Mondays.

June 16th.
July 21st.
August 18th.
September 22nd.

All leaving at 7.00pm from our reserve car park on Lower Dunton Road.
8)

Comments

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Muddylegs,

Great fun riding round with you yesterday. Once again thanks for showing me the area :D

I'm in. 8)
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    That sounds great. I'm a few miles away down in Basildon so i'll cycle up to Westley Heights and then down through plotlands to the car park. Monday nights are ideal for me but any other day i will try to make.
  • muddylegs
    That’s excellent are there any more. We are surely not the only 3 people living in Essex that ride a bike?
  • Belv
    I don't know the protocol regarding PM's, but there were a few others that piped up here: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/forums/vie ... t=12563924 about riding in Essex.
  • cjw
    I've just posted on that thread, so they should get an email of the response.
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • muddylegs
    Ok June 16th is on. We leave at 7.00 from the car park on Lower Dunton Road. Any body need full address please pm me.
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Count me in :)

Keep meaning to poke my head into langdon hills but never got around to it so far.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Nice to meet you this afternoon - I was the bloke with the new Ransom 20.

Didn't get to test it to the max(!), may have to look further afield for that, but keen to hook up with other riders, so look fwd to the 16th and seeing some more of the area.

See you on the 16th.
  • kenone
    kenone Posts: 113
    Most of my work is down that way and theres limited riding near ipswich so should be in.
    Muddylegs, i often work pretty close to the area and its just a matter of me chucking the bike in the van. Would i find the trails easily on my own?
    Get your dog off my lawn!
  • buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    Hi guys, I live nearby and ride with a group of 3/4, mainly weekday mornings, due to shift work, anyone around that time wanna meet up? We normally ride weald park, warley and langdon occasionally.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72834654@N00/
  • BigJimmyB
    kenone wrote:
    i often work pretty close to the area and its just a matter of me chucking the bike in the van. Would i find the trails easily on my own?

Hello mate. There's no waymarking, but you could find yourself a decent little route around there. There are two sides, either side of a road - check on a map and perhaps figure a route out.

Cheers
    BJB
  • muddylegs
    kenone wrote:
    Most of my work is down that way and theres limited riding near ipswich so should be in.
    Muddylegs, i often work pretty close to the area and its just a matter of me chucking the bike in the van. Would i find the trails easily on my own?

Like BJB says you could quite easily figure a route out but if you call in at the centre we can sell you a map of the reserve. Only 70p. :lol:
    Join us on the 16th and you can start getting to know the place.
  • kenone
    kenone Posts: 113
    Will get down there on the 16th for sure if my job on the day is in essex, might have to sweet
    talk the girl in the office who programmes the work 8) . My works normally programmed week to week so ill try and organise something.
    I know im down that way atleast three days this comin week so might give myself a head start and search out some trails.....
    Get your dog off my lawn!
  • Moving down to Basildon at the end of the month, so am well up for meeting a few people and finding places to ride! Will keep an eye on this thread and get in touch when I'm down there......
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • BigJimmyB
    Bump for Essex Riders ;-)
  • nismo nick
    nismo nick Posts: 25
    Used to ride Langdon a while back, but i'm no XC rider..... Was for the natural fast flowing trails in the downward direction. Not been over there for a couple of years, so may pop over one evening and say hello and go for a ride ;)
    Always in search for my next adrenalin fix......
    Univega RAM9DH Team for off road,
    Nissan Silvia S14a with almost 400 raging ponies for on the road.
  • muddylegs
    Everybody ok for monday?
    Loads of safe parking i will be around from 6.00 to let people in the gate, it may well be wet but we will ride whatever the weather!
    If it is not to cold we will stop at the pub for an orange juice.
    Anybody need full address, please PM me.
    See you monday. 8)
  • rikk
    Yep planning to be there, found it on the map so should be ok :)

How hilly is it there, same kind of thing as thorndon?
  • muddylegs
    It is quite hilly and i plan too use as many of them as possible both up and down.
    Our hills are short and very steep.
    You will love it.
  • cjw
    rikk wrote:
    Yep planning to be there, found it on the map so should be ok :)

How hilly is it there, same kind of thing as thorndon?

Rikk, Thorndon is flat as a pancake compared to this. This place is pretty hilly but good fun. I hope to be there but am in London tomorrow... as long as meetings finish in time I'll be there :P
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • rikk
    I'll see how it goes, I'm not the best on hills but always up for giving things a bash :)

I may skip out halfway through if it's to much, we'll see.
  • Belv
    Yep, still up for this.
    See you all later.
  • BigJimmyB
    Yep, there'll be two of us coming along tonight.

See you there.
  • cjw
    How was it folks? Weather was good... sorry couldn't make it as I only got off the train at 19.00 :cry:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • BigJimmyB
    A good thanks CJW.

Muddylegs obviously knows the place very well, so we got 1hr 45 mins in. A good mix of climb, bridleway and some good little flowing bits of ST.

And we stopped for the obligatory pint too!

I think Muddylegs is looking to do it at least once a month, maybe more regularly if poss.
  • Belv
    It was great: ideal weather, some excellent routes and dancing girls at the pub (that was the story, right?). All i'd change for next time is to bring a set of lights for the ride home afterwards :shock:

Thanks for organising it, Muddylegs.
  • BigJimmyB
    You got back OK in the dark the, Belv?
  • Belv
    lol, yes. It was exciting to ride back through the woods but most of the downhill bits don't have overhanging trees so there was enough light to go through there slowly. Some of the more dense bits up towards the steps (which i didn't bother trying to ride up!) got quite silly though.
    I bet night riding (with lights of course!) is quite an adrenaline rush.
  • rikk
    Appologies for not making it, work stepped in and I couldn't get away before 6.15 so rather than rush and possibly miss you all I went a bit more local.
    Have to catch you next time, work willing.

Don't suppose anyone has a gps track of the route? would be handy to have a quick bash on my own, make sure I wouldn't hold you guys up.