newbie to road bikes

kami
kami Posts: 7
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
hi all iv jus joined the forum i have just got a raleigh airlite 200 i am goin to be riding to work every other day and doin 3 training rides per week
i went out tonite to see how i got on and i managed 8miles in 35mins average speed of 14mph not sure if thats any good
any advice for a beginner would be helpful
thanks scott

Comments

• LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Don't wory about speed just go out and enjoy the bike and build up your ride time. I have a Raleigh Airlite I use as a training bike and it works fine; as bits wear out you can put better spec kit on. Advice, get a basic tool kit to enable you to repair a puncture (spare tube is a good idea) and a small saddle bag. Cycling shorts make the longer distance rides more comfortable and a cycling shirt with pockets in the back is handy.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Don't worry about average speeds, there's always someone who cliam s to be faster.

As said above, enjoy it

I always carry a spare tube and pump.

Padded shorts are a must!
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    kami wrote:
    hi all iv jus joined the forum i have just got a raleigh airlite 200 i am goin to be riding to work every other day and doin 3 training rides per week
    i went out tonite to see how i got on and i managed 8miles in 35mins average speed of 14mph not sure if thats any good
    any advice for a beginner would be helpful
    thanks scott

That will soon come down..V.good time IMO don't try too hard though....keep a log in a diary or on your PC.

You want to note:-

Max spd
    Distance
    Time
    Av Spd
    Road/weather conditions

Also if you make a brief description of your route that'll be ideal.

I do this with my commute rides and I'm starting to do it with my longer rides and one thing I've noticed since I started commuting on my road bike is the times are at least 2mins quicker, Av spd is up on most of my routes by about 3 - 5 mph (a big jump IMO) the only problem is all of my routes are touching 5 miles so they're only short so I tend to "go for it" and set myself a certain goal ie riding home in one gear, keep my cadence above a certain value, keep my speed constant that sort of thing! can't comment on my longer rides but I managed 10 miles in under 40 mins the other day.
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Treat yourself to a couple of pairs of comfy padded shorts! Don't go for the cheap option -- it really is the case that the more you pay the better the shorts are. I bought a few cheap pairs (under£20) when I started; they're now just festering at the back of the cupboard while the more expensive ones get a regular wearing.

Clean and lubricate regularly.

Buy Lennard Zinn's Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance -- lots of excellent advice in here -- or use the parktools website for maintenance tips.

And as everyone else says, enjoy it, especially now the evenings last for ages!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Clean and lubricate regularly.

The bike or the shorts?
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    :lol: