15 stone 3 lbs

colsa
colsa Posts: 50
Hi guys, i'm a 40 year old ex-bodybuilder, this time last year i was over 17 stone with minimal body fat.

Due to injuries, mainly shoulder problems, ive had to rap the bodybuilding in, so as not to get stretch marks around my chest,shoulder and neck area, i have been slimming down gradualy, still lifting weights, but lifting lighter as the months went on, i was in the gym today and am now down to 15 stone 3 lbs, so i now think im safe to stop the weights completely and now just hammer the cardio and get the rest of the weight off fast.

Ive just made this thread because.....i will be picking up a Rockhopper disc in about 7 weeks time, and i now have 7 weeks to see how much weight i can shed before i pick my bike up, i suppose its abit of an insentive/motivation thread, im hoping to drop into the 13 stone bracket, ive been going to the gym roughly 4 times a week for years and years, so i think the next 7 weeks should be good fun just doing cardio and not lhaving to pick up two 55kg dumbells anymore.

Im looking to get into the high 13 stone area, anything around 13,3 or 13,4 would be met with glee.

Any tips on sheding the weight safely or dietry tips would be much appreciated.

I'll get weighed next Thursday, and so on, and see how i go.

Comments

• toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    As well as not having to lift dumbells you can ditch your fear of carbs a bit, infact you'll want to load up on them a bit before longer rides to keep you going. :)
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Did similar but on a much more modest scale.

Just ride a lot - and I mean a lot.
    But I'd do maintenance stuff at home to maintain strength - just twice a week, press ups, pull ups, etc - suprising how much upper body strength helps you fling your bike around.

Diet wise - just up the carbs and ease off mega protein hits.

Be careful with your shoulders though - mine has dislocated about 25 times (but is now sorted thanks to serious physio) - especially if you come off! Low resistance home stuff like press ups will build up your core muscles (rotator cuffs, etc) and support your shoulders.

If you were motivated enough to gain all that weight in the gym, you'll easily achieve your weight loss/toning/cardio goals. It sort of something you just have - or you don't.

Bikewise - we have a 2008 Rockhopper disk too (I usually use my 2007 Stumoy though) - it's a tough bike but be a bit careful - 15+ stone on a hardtail could break stuff if you go OTT - maybe avoid big jumps, serious DHing, etc!
  • colsa
    Thanks for that advice guys.

Ive not got a bike at the moment, i pick up the rockhopper in 7 weeks, im just trying to get down to a respectable weight with fitness before i pick up the bike, cant wait.

Ouch Matt, 25 dislocations, thats gotta be annoying, pleased its sorted for ya now though.
  • Surf-Matt
    Might be quite hard work losing that much weight in 7 weeks if you're not carrying much fat. Muscle takes a long time to "burn" off - much longer than fat (although I'm sure you know that).

Good luck anyway! Have some great shoulder physio exercises if ever needed.
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    Colsa, how many calories approx do you take in per day?
    spammer
  • colsa
    Hi Matt, yer, i might be a bit optimistic thinking im gonna drop 2 stone in 7 weeks, dunno tho mate, ive gradualy reduced my muscle mass by 2 stone ish over the last 5 or 6 months, i'll see what sort of weight i lose per week, now that im doing cardio only and no weights, if its a slow loss, then i'll shrink my stomach and start overtraining, see how i go.

Hey Pippin, i stopped counting my calorie intake a long time ago mate, i used to worry about not eating enough, now im worrying that im eating too much, i think im doing ok, im doing cardio only in the gym 4-5 a week, burning on average 800 cals per session,

todays food...... stewed steak and mixed veg (small portion)...ham and tomato sarney.....skinless cod fillet with baby carrots (small portion).....

tomorrows food......bran flakes/bananas.....ham and tom sarney.....chicken breast with rice....

I'll see what weight i am on thursday,and see how im feeling, then alter my diet accordingly, im not snacking, no biscuits, skimmed milk in tea, i'll see how it goes
  • Pippen33
    Ok, was just wondering. Will you not miss being ripped? I was thinking it would be a bit like retiring from boxing? Frank Bruno as an example!
    spammer
  • colsa
    yeah, im gutted mate, at my best i was 17 stone 4, but im 40 years old now, my shoulders are shot and i just couldnt maintain the weight or motivation anymore, tried going lighter with more reps, but was just fighting a losing battle, my head was all messed up for a while, all those years of bodybuilding for what seems nothing now, thing is, it was either pack in now or struggle on for another year or so,, but i was gonna have to pack it in sooner or later, this might sound weird, but my biggest fear is....being picked on lol, at 17 stone nobody would bother you, i mean like youths on street corners sort of thing, but ive already noticed that people speak to me differantly now ......weird
  • Surf-Matt
    Colsa - I really wouldn't worry about aggro. I'm a much, much smaller 12 and a bit stone (but only 5'8") but never ever get any hassle. Just a bit of confidence partly from years of karate and kickboxing (did many Nationakl comps) If anything people will stop trying to prove themselves by picking on a big bloke.

Never for nothing either - it's so mucn easier to maintain a decent shape than build it. Just lean up a bit - maybe add a bit of trail running in if possible as well as the cycling. Having more strength than most as well as some good cardio fitness really helps in all sorts of things - from MTBing, to rugby, to football, to surfing.

I'd really stop pushing that shoulder though - I ignored mine for a while and it took many years longer to sort than it should have done.

Pippen - as I've written in other threads, it really isn't about calorie counting. And you can be ripped (very very toned) at any weight - look at Bruce Lee!
  • Pippen33
    I wasn't saying it was about calorie counting. It was a simple question. And he gave a simple answer. Regarding the 'ripped' question, it was a question of size not muscle tone. And yes, I am aware that being 'ripped' is a status when you're at a certain percent of bodyfat.

[/code]
    spammer
  • Surf-Matt
    You asked about calorie intake. Both of us said it wasn't important.

You implied that "ripped" meant "big" - it doesn't.

So ner.
  • colsa
    Yer, ripped aint big pippin, but i knew what you meant dude.

I wish i had of started a martial art 4 or 5 years ago Matt, ju-juitsu or summik, do you still do it regular ?,
  • Surf-Matt
    Colsa - not down here (Cornwall) but still train with my heavy bag (amazing cardio exercise) and stretch a lot.

Did four years karate when I was pretty young, then six years kickboxing in Bristol and ended up competing and teaching a bit. Doesn't make you some kind of indestructible warrior but it does help with overall street confidence and raises your awareness of situations (like when to run away!).
  • Pippen33
    so ner

Surf-Matt your head is bigger than your freakin surf board Am I not allowed to ask curious questions? Who cares if I used ripped instead of brawny? Does that make me retarted? No!

SO NER.
    spammer
  • Surf-Matt
    But spelling "retarded" like that DOES make you one :lol:

Brawny? Not heard that for some years.

Don't think my head is bigger than 6'2" x 18.25" ... :?:

Chill man... :wink::lol:
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    This thread delivers.
  • colsa
    I wish it would deliver me a pizza,,, im freakin starving :lol:
  • Pippen33
    But spelling "retarded" like that DOES make you one

Well FOR ME, it's not a requirement to specify in every job application form I complete. But you obviously haven't got a job, averaging 7 posts per day, over the last 2 months (as opposed to my 0.3 over 16 months), claiming to do karate, surf, mtb. How do you find the time?
    Brawny? Not heard that for some years.

Yes, it is in the English dictionary.
    Don't think my head is bigger than 6'2" x 18.25"

I didn't mean literally.
    Chill man...

1. Finished WORK, having a Bud.
    2. Don't take this personally/seriously (I'm sure you're not)
    spammer
  • Surf-Matt
    edited June 2008
    I do not need to fill in application forms - my wife and I run a PR company. You'll know many of the clients :wink::lol:

I don't do karate any more. I did kickboxing for six years. I now just train at home with a heavy bag and mitts - as part of my weights routine.

I make time to surf and MTB and post here when I want - thanks for working out my average post count but exercise and fun are very important to me and my wife.

It's still spelt "retarDed" and it anyone wants a job with us, they must be able to spell properly.

Sorry you don't have more free time to play.
  • Greg_m
    Greg_m Posts: 15
    i cant admire you more for shifting that kind of muscle mass. Well done, keep up the good work!
  • Pippen33
    It's still spelt "retarDed" and it anyone wants a job with us, they must be able to spell properly.

I couldn't help notice that you spelt 'if' incorrectly. And you intially posted at 8:14, yet you edited at 8:19. Someone's been having a long hard think. :wink:

Sorry to nit-pick, but I think that's why this thread mutated in the 1st place.
    spammer
  • colsa
    14 stone 12 lbs

5 lbs off in a week, probs overdone it this first week, been feeling a bit faint the last couple of days, will have a bigger brekkie and bigger evening meal this 2nd week, hopefuly lose 2-3 lbs this second week, that my target.
  • Surf-Matt
    Holy cr4p Colsa - that's amazing!

Knew you'd have the determination to achieve it!
  • colsa
    Thanks Matt, its an evening that i struggle, im so used to sitting infront of my pc with sarneys/crisps and chocy fingers, just gotta get out of that habit i suppose.
  • Surf-Matt
    Colsa - although I was a much lesser weight gainer (I put on just over 3 stone on 18 months while maintaining about 10% bf), I still got to the stage where I found some stuff more difficult due to being a bit bulky.

Surfing was harder - I needed to paddle harder to catch waves and was less agile, my punching (kickboxing) got slower when sparring and running was harder work.

You can do a lot more with a bit less weight but still pretty much maintain similar strength. You just become more compact and can do more - like crazy gymnastic stuff (can do all sorts of wierd handstand stuff, very hard press ups, one arm pull ups, etc). I prefer it, even though I'm a bit less bulked (albeit on a much lesser scale than you)!

Snack on malt loaf and fig rolls if you really get the munchies.
  • 320DMsport
    320DMsport Posts: 306
    Surf Matt you sound like Superman and Peter Perfect rolled into one....i bet you have to pinch yourself to see if your real? LOL

Good work Colsa
  • KeithNMBC
    KeithNMBC Posts: 46
    colsa wrote:
    Thanks Matt, its an evening that i struggle, im so used to sitting infront of my pc with sarneys/crisps and chocy fingers, just gotta get out of that habit i suppose.

Well you could come riding with us on a Thursday, that's one Evening you will be busy riding and not eating, Check my link for club details or PM me if you wanto to join in.

p.s. I'm heavier than you so don't worry about keeping up :)
    Want a club that knows the trails around Newcastle during the week and goes further every weekend of the month, rain hail sleet or shine?

www.newcastlemtb.org
    www.midaircrisis.co.uk
  • anytear691
    anytear691 Posts: 84
    or banana milkshake (home made) loads of protein from milk for your muscles!!! get bigger guns and then simple carbs for glucose!
    "Convoy?!, Micheal your spending you time with someone who uses a collective term for a single vehicle!"
  • Surf-Matt
    320DMsport wrote:
    Surf Matt you sound like Superman and Peter Perfect rolled into one....i bet you have to pinch yourself to see if your real? LOL

Good work Colsa
    And you must have really cracked it to be driving a 320DMSport... :wink::lol:
  • colsa
    14 stone 9 lbs

I can now see a noticeable differance, and i feel light as a feather, im now able to run, im flying up flights of stairs, im a hell of alot fitter.

My chest is still a good size, but instead of it being solid, its now hanging down, might start using the rower for this weeks cardio.

Thats 8 lbs off in 2 weeks, i'll be happy if i lose a lb a week from now, mayde 2 lb a week, but i understand its gonna get harder now, im not gonna starve myself though, eat healthy stuff yes, but im not gonna punish myself.

Thanks Keith, ive added your site to my faves, and will hopefuly be in touch in a few weeks time, cheers.

Fig rolls are bloody lovely Matt :D