Anybody know much about Macclesfield Forest?

TheDogman
TheDogman Posts: 28
edited January 2012 in Routes
I'm looking to visit Macc Forest in a couple of weeks, any good pointers on where to park, what the route option are, and which are the best bits?

I'm hoping to find some good XC with enough singletrack & downhill thumping fun thrown in to get the adrenaline flowing...

Cheers!

Comments

• Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I'm sure there was a route in one of the magazines not too long ago for Macclesfield Forest, I'll have a dig through some back issues and see if I can find it.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Cheshley
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • TheDogman
    Thanks mate - much appreciated.

Have you ridden round there much? Any tips / best bits?
  • Cheshley
    Never been there but the route I saw in the Mag looked ok for an overweight unfit bloke such as myself. Found the other links from a Google search.

:)
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• TheDogman
    Fair shout - cheers for the effort!

What's the riding like round doncaster way? I've not really done much that side of the hills
  • Cheshley
    Nothing really here, it's too flat. I usually wander through Sheffield towards the Peak District and Ladybower/Edale area or Through Barnsley towards Langsett.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill

• owen908
    owen908 Posts: 170
    Macc forest is one of my local routes which i ride 3 times a week. From Mac it takes me about 15 mintues to get there through langley on the bike. There are many hidden trails in there, but the loop is quite a blast. Its a hell of a climb getting to the top though, but the descent through the winding forest track is awesome.

There are some good trails just before the forest too

Untitled-1.jpg

And this is the exact spot where the arrow is

DSCF2680.jpg
  • Bossangel
    Bossangel Posts: 164
    i know a little about macclesfield.
    T he Borough of Macclesfield covers an area of 202 square miles (523 square kilometres) set in the northeast corner of Cheshire and has a population of 150,500 (mid 2005). The majority of the Borough (85%) is rural however there are several sizeable towns and over forty villages.

You didnt say anything about riding in the title lol :twisted:
    Why use brakes? Falling off is a much quicker way to stop
  • TheDogman
    Nice one Owen908 that's just what I wanted to hear.

Is the loop fairly well marked / signed, or do I need to get a map of the area to follow?
  • owen908
    TheDogman wrote:
    Nice one Owen908 that's just what I wanted to hear.

Is the loop fairly well marked / signed, or do I need to get a map of the area to follow?

If you know your way to Macclesfield Forrest you will be aware of the Leathers Smithy pub just opposite. Follow the road along the resevoir all the way right to the top. once you reach the top you will see a gate to your right. Simply follow the path behind the gate and it will take you all the way down through macc forest. If you fancy going for a blast let me know and ill show you where it is and some of the local trails :wink:
  • TheDogman
    Thanks for that - should help us find our way in.

The chap I'm riding with lives nearby (he's new to mountian biking - this will be his first proper job!) so, as long as he doesn't fall off too hard, might have to take you up on that offer in a few weeks!
  • owen908
    Lol you will certainly enjoy it. Have fun!
  • As mentioned parking around the Leathers Smithy pub is ample and also on the the top car park of the Forest itself.

The main loop is signposted if I remember, although I live here, I only infrequently do the Macc forest loop.

Its a great little run though, if a little on the short side.
    Do it.
  • riggsy123
    riggsy123 Posts: 62
    never ridden macc forrest and I only live 10 mins away... think I will have to pay it a visit :D
  • rickmac
    rickmac Posts: 13
    it is a great mtb area. The actual forest bridleway loop is only 6 miles but is good and hilly and should get you buzzin in a couple of places. Best to do clockwise. To make longer you can combine the loop with some other routes around Teggs Nose and longer still combine with heading upto the Cat & Fiddle & Wildboarclough. Bikemaps has a map of this. And it is also possible to combine with bridleways around the Three Shires Bridge. If you wanted a real big one then when at the Cat & Fiddle you are only a few minutes away from linking up with the Goyt Valley Loop.
  • TheDogman
    Thanks for that - I'm looking forward to this one, despite the forcast thunderstorms!

I've also got my hands onto a map called "Grit & Gears II" which looks like it covers the forest, Teggs Nose, the pub and also goes right out to the Cat & Fiddle and alsorts!

I can't find it online aywhere (thought there is grit & gears 1 at http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/countryside/ ... grit_gears ) but will keep looking, and let y'all know how it goes!
  • rickmac
    rickmac Posts: 13
    The grit and gears map is a bit basic and misses most of the forest bridleway. Also If you fancy a pint in the Setter Dog, marked then be warned as it shut years ago. Still it will good ride. But as a suggestion - when you get down to point 8, go across to bottom of oven then upto point 17 and around that loop clockwise. When you are going along the valley back to 10 turn off left before it to the P. Then pick up signs for the forest bridleway and follow clockwise to bring you to ridgegate reservoir (Leathers Smithy). Continue following forest bridleway signs to take you up a road then through the forest. When you next hit road turn left and this will take you to point 5, then you should remember where you were to get back to start!
  • TheDogman
    rickmac, you're a good good man.

I've just compared the map on the chgeshire gov website with the 'grit & gears II" that my old dad has dug out, and it's pretty much bang on the same as you have describedm - taking in Ferriser,Nessit Hill, Ridgegate reservoir and Leather's Smithy Oub etc.

And ths sun as just come out!
  • TheDogman
    rickmac, you're a good good man.

I've just compared the map on the chgeshire gov website with the 'grit & gears II" that my old dad has dug out, and it's pretty much bang on the same as you have describedm - taking in Ferriser,Nessit Hill, Ridgegate reservoir and Leather's Smithy Oub etc.

And ths sun as just come out!
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    dogman the ride was in mbr mag..

if you can get to a wh smiths and pick up the mbr ride guide its in there to its listing it as medium and 22.6 km or 14 miles..
  • Did the Forest Fever Route today. So what did I think of it? Well I think it good for a workout. There are no burns there like you get at a trail park. It a slow trail, as there are no fast parts on it, but I was riding in the rain and wearing glasses. What can I say about Charity lane, well it full of small rocks. Plus due too the rain, it was like a stream.

Would I go again? 100 percent yes. But not when it raining.

Paul Selwood
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    TheDogman wrote:
    I'm looking to visit Macc Forest in a couple of weeks, any good pointers on where to park, what the route option are, and which are the best bits?

I'm hoping to find some good XC with enough singletrack & downhill thumping fun thrown in to get the adrenaline flowing...

Cheers!

PM DodgeT he has been a few times, we might be going over in the near future.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2