XC in Devon! (sorry to steal your title Kernow) Exmoor trip.

litwardle
litwardle Posts: 259
edited June 2008 in MTB rides
Anybody fancy some riding on Exmoor?

Ok so after my post appealing for riders in North Devon and getting 2, yesTWO replies I thought I'd piggy back on that posts success.

I'm suggesting a day in a couple of months. This will give me and I dare say a couple of others time to get a bit of training in. I'm hoping for it to be an all abilities ride with a basic fitness level. If we get enough people we can always get 2 groups and pick 2 different routes to suit all levels, but thats just wazing lyrical at this stage! This is very much the first stage so I'm hoping we can look at the finer points as we go along!

I'm hoping for a chilled out affair where we can meet at a designated time half way for a re-fueling session!

If you like the sound of an Exmoor trip then post your ideas and we'll make it happen!

Lee[/b]

Comments

• SA boy
    SA boy Posts: 63
    Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted.
    FaceBook: CornishTrailRiders
  • Lhance
    Lhance Posts: 88
    thats fine I stole the idea from the kent XC
    but stealing my first name thats going to far .
    have never ridden off road exmoor but would drive up for somthing good.
    are you doing Newnham90.
  • litwardle
    Newnham loks interesting. I didn't know about it. To be honest I'm not in amazing shape so hoping to get a bit fitter befor riding on Exmoor with a group. Dunkery Beacon is only about 40 mins away from where I live and has some great trails so I'll try and get up there soon to have a looook around.

I hope we can get some peole involved with this. Will be great.

Lee
  • sam1234
    sam1234 Posts: 97
    Hi,

Dunkery area has got some amazing riding form short loops to 30 mile killer loops. The descent of the east side of Dunkery is worth it, starts fast and then gets rocky :D
    Could possibly be intrested in joining you, however I've got shed loads of college work to do over the next 2 months so riding time will be at premiem (doing an apprenticship so have to do college work after work and at weekends). However from about mid June I should have some more freetime for riding. Saturdays suit me best.

Sam
  • Count me in, I'm based in Torquay, can drive up to Exmoor easily.
  • litwardle
    Count me in, I'm based in Torquay, can drive up to Exmoor easily.

"FUZZ MONKEY FIVE" is by far the best screen name ever. EVER!
  • litwardle wrote:
    Count me in, I'm based in Torquay, can drive up to Exmoor easily.

"FUZZ MONKEY FIVE" is by far the best screen name ever. EVER!

Apprectiated !! :D

Nice to see quiet a few Devon riders on here, we could organise quite a good day out on Exmoor.
  • litwardle
    Yeah, I hope so. Still plenty of time yet though. I'm thinking June/July maybe? I'd like a few more posts from interested parties. Also a few route suggestions?

Lee
  • sam1234
    I've got quite a few routes for Exmoor. 3 or 4 routes for Dunkery, a couple for the Doone Valley and few others however being at work and not near my laptop I can't say exactly what I've got.
    What sort of distance were you thinking of?
    If you have Memory Map most of the routes I've got I've put into memory map, so i can always email you them.

Sam
  • hoathy
    hoathy Posts: 776
    If this is still happening, I'd be up for it, I live in Torquay too, although i have ridden my MTB in a couple of months, damn work. So I'm pretty un-fit atm....
    - Kona Hot '96 - Marin Rift Zone '09 - Cannondale Synapse Carbon '06 - Kona Caldera '98 - Kona AA '94 - Dawes Kickback II - Cannondale BadBoy '11 - Genesis iOiD SS -
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    Funnily enough I'm in Exeter....so interested.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Anyone stil interested in a Devon MTB meetup then ?

Exmoor ? Haldon ? Dartmoor ? Woodbury ? Torquay ?
  • sam1234
    It looks like people don't seem as keen know, as when this idea was put forward.
    Dartmoor would make most sense as it roughly in center of Devon and easier for those in south.
    I'm know starting to get more again know I've almost completed my exams and will probably be heading over to Exmoor and the Quantocks reguarly through the summer.

Sam
  • Yeh I'm interested, just finished uni so got a fair bit of time on my hands plus I don't have a clue of any good local trails around Holsworthy where I'm currently living. If any one knows of any around the: Holsworthy, Bude, Hartland area could you drop me a line?

cheers
  • sam1234
    Sorry I can't recomend any trails around Holsworthy, Bude or Hartland as I live and tend to ride around Bideford area. However one of the best things you can do is to get the 1:2500 OS map for the area and go exploring.

Sam
  • fatjock
    fatjock Posts: 7
    Any chance of a newbie joining you? Just got into mtb'ing about 6 months ago and loving it!! I need to get fitter but I'm sure i wouldn't slow you down too much.
  • sam1234
    Unfrortantly people don't seem so keen now. I'm afraid I can't really get anything organised myself. As my riding buddy has to work weekend early mornings and he dosn't always finish the same time so we tend to leave home any time between 9 and 11 am. This means some days we finish riding 8pm. Also to arrange a certian time to meet can be awkward. Normally if we riding with others I have to text everyone just as we leaving so they know when to get there. This only works if people are the same travelling time (or less) than us.

'Sorry I can't be more helful etc in getting something going.

Sam
  • fatjock
    Shame, but I'll keep an eye and see if anything else comes up.

Fuzz Monkey - is there anything going on Mtb-wise in Torquay? (I live there too)

The one guilty of recruiting me into this life of sore knees and fun lives in Cornwall so I would be interested in stuff going on here as I can only get down to Cornwall about every 4-6 weeks.

Cheers
  • Yeah its quite hard to organise something like this as pretty much everyone has different commitments and stuff.
    I reckon we find a 15-20 mile (suit all fitnesses) route on dartmoor/exmoor, set a date sometime in the next month and see how many people are up for it?
  • sam1234
    That would be good idea and see what people can do. Ive got a few commitments to make in July so might not be able to make it. Also I would say go for a Dartmooor ride as it's more central.
  • fatjock wrote:
    Shame, but I'll keep an eye and see if anything else comes up.

Fuzz Monkey - is there anything going on Mtb-wise in Torquay? (I live there too)

The one guilty of recruiting me into this life of sore knees and fun lives in Cornwall so I would be interested in stuff going on here as I can only get down to Cornwall about every 4-6 weeks.

Cheers

Quite a bit to ride in the Torbay area, several good routes I know. If you fancy meeting up for a ride on day we could do that (I'm always happy riding with new people)
  • fatjock
    That sound like a good idea, if you could suggest a few dates we can arrange to meet up. Fortunately I don't work weekends but She Who Must Be Obeyed occassionaly makes plans.......

Looking forward to it. Thanks.