bike set up

Random Vince
Random Vince Posts: 11,374
edited June 2008 in Women
Hi, i'm just getting my girlfriend into mountain biking, at the moment she's complaining of a sore rear end, but i'm presuming it's just due to not being used to the bike (she complained of the same on her old cheap bike)

any recommendations on how to set up the bike for her so she's comfortable just by looking at how she's riding?

things like knowing if she's stretching too far for the bars etc
My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday

Comments

• does she have a good ladies saddle..? most important.
    thinking happy thoughts....before the pixies steal them..

www.homersbikes.co.uk
  • s1mon
    s1mon Posts: 618
    Hi,
    any recommendations on how to set up the bike for her so she's comfortable just by looking at how she's riding?
    This months MBUK (i think it' that one) has bit at the back on setting up your bike eg. saddle height, angle, bars etc.

Simon.
  • as said, a womens saddle is a good start. plus could try womens padded cycle shorts.
    if that doesnt help, depending on how the bike is currently set up/size, you could try a few things before spending lots cash on stems or new bars. maybe (if youve not yet) try rolling the saddle forwards/backwards & at different angles to see if she feels more comfortable sitting down? add/lose spacers at the front? change the angles/positions of gear levers/brake levers by sliding them across or rotating them round the handlebars to change reach?
    basically, i'd try a few things just to see what helps - its what individual setup feels comfortable to her.
  • punkypossum
    punkypossum Posts: 660
    Bear in mind that women's specific saddles don't work for everybody either - I don't get on with them at all!
    One day, I'm going to buy a cottage in a small village and become its idiot!
  • Hootess
    Hootess Posts: 5
    Titanium rails on a saddle take a fair chunk of the buzz out.

Ask your LBS to help you get the saddle set up correct.

Then a good pair of shorts - one of my mates has been known to wear a few layers of shorts to get a bit more comfort.

After all thet, I'm afraid it can be a case of just getting on with the riding - I find if I have a few weeks out of the saddle, I can be a bit battered afterwards, but the more often I ride, the less problems I get.
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617

As has been said - good saddle, no one can tell you which one, you just have to try them, but just as important, get the tilt of it right for the rider. Having the angle wrong can make an ace saddle feel like sitting on a breeze block...

Other set up stuff - while adjusting saddle tilt, set it in a comfortable place front to rear. This gives a bit of control over the reach to the bars, other that that, a shorter or longer stem is needed. If someone's riding with their fingertips on the bars alot by the end of a ride, the reach is a bit long.

http://www.chasingtrails.com