Bike Rage

13»

Comments

• Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    iainment wrote:
    You don't have much insight do you?

If you verbally assault someone, threaten physical violence and criminal damage what is it apart from bullying?

Asking for a whole lot of trouble?
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    HI guys,

Ianment and Denny, please will you either let it lie or at least discuss this further away from the public forum as it's starting to get a little tedious clicking on the thread only to see more of your escalating feud.

Cori.
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    Coriander wrote:
    HI guys,

Ianment and Denny, please will you either let it lie or at least discuss this further away from the public forum as it's starting to get a little tedious clicking on the thread only to see more of your escalating feud.

Cori.

It's easy enough to skip through any pasts on here, you don't have to read each and every one. I do try to be brief and concise though.

8)
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Coriander wrote:
    HI guys,

Cori.

Yeah, Get a room goddammit!! :wink:

You wouldn't let it lie
    I would'v let it lie but you wouldn't let me let it lie
    Stop talking about my nougat!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • iainment
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    Coriander wrote:
    HI guys,

Cori.

Yeah, Get a room goddammit!! :wink:

You wouldn't let it lie
    I would'v let it lie but you wouldn't let me let it lie
    Stop talking about my nougat!

Nougat, mmm.
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    .........and stop bringing my marzipan into the public forum!

Anyway, where were we? :?:
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • iainment
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    .........and stop bringing my marzipan into the public forum!

Anyway, where were we? :?:

Marzipan, yes!
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    edited June 2008
    :oops: One last comment guys as Ianment is boring me now and I know you're all sick of this.

IANMENT ARE YOU FOR REAL!!!!!!, Your reading skills leave a lot to be desired. you've read "ex bouncer" and immediately formed an opinion. What the above comment says (between the lines)is that if you're a driver and you bully me on the road you WILL get a reaction BECAUSE AS THE DRIVER OF A LETHAL WEAPON YOU HAVE JUST PUT MY LIFE IN DANGER I can't explain it any easier....I'm amazed you haven't "judged" the other 2 riders who did the same thing....another act of a bully.....single someone out from the crowd find a weakness and exploit it

Not only are these the actions of bullying but it is also the lowest form of bullying.....the faceless type...it's so easy to do it from 100's of miles away where you don't have to stand up for your actions in front of your "victim"

Were you abused as a child? :P

That's it guys that's my last response, if he can't see the difference then he's ignorant. My apologies I doubt you'll get them from the other party.
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    OK, finished?????

Actually Denny, it's both of you boring us. At least Iainment has moved on. Just accept you are never going to see eye to eye on this.
  • Denny69
    Denny69 Posts: 206
    I understand losing it when someone does something dangerous/stupid, BUT keep in mind that they are in a huge heavy piece of metal. No matter how big or "hard" you are you're never going to beat up a car. There are a few posts here that could have ended up differently if the drivers had been of different mindsets. Denny/bishbash, I know lots of people who would have probably just run you over if you had reacted on the way you said you had. Also keep in mind if you are physically attacking a driver and you get seriously hurt or killed by them running you over, there's probably a big chance they are going to get away with it I'm afraid. That's just the way it is!

Fair point EMD but I had to let the driver know exactly how I felt, that and the fact he'd already looked in his rear view mirror SEEN ME as we made eye contact, and still proceeded to pull out on me was what angered me the most. It's the old "only a cyclist what can they do" mentality. Happens a lot in these parts :roll:

But the opposite also happens...when drivers wait (even if they can pull out/overtake) I thank them with a thumbs up/hand wave and a "thank you" if they can hear me. :D
    Heaven kicked me out and Hell was too afraid I'd take over!!!

Fighting back since 1975!!

Happy riding

Denny
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Majikthise wrote:
    This wasn't me but I was witness to the most superb direct action and presence of mind....

This was in Ipswich, a mature fellow on a city bike, just a regular commuter, or so I thought gets VERY badly cut up by a chav type bloke in a Mini. At the next lights on a cross roads the Mini stops (in the advance box of course) windows down chav music pumping. Our Fellow calmly cycles alongside the right hand side of the Mini, deftly reaches through the open window, turns off the engine and swiftly removes the keys. Keys in hand our Fellow clamly pedals to the other side of the crossing (on green of course..) and drops the chav's keys down a drain! Beautiful!

Our Fellow calmly pedals away with the driver of the Mini remonstrating his predicament!

Splendid! 8)

Unbelieveable!!!!

I think throwing it down the drain was a bit much as it will cause trouble for people not involved in the incident - he could have dropped them further on.

But I agree that it is great presence of mind and leaves the driver helpless and without the weapon of a car.

I would urge caution though as some people are really unpredictable, on drugs or whatever and you can seriously come a cropper. I have been slapped and punched whilst remonstrating with a pedestrian who wasn't looking where they were going,

I know it is hard not to swear, but to remain calm and non-violent and non-aggressive puts you in the better position and should it ever come down to police involvement, you will have the upper-hand (eg/. what could the person in the anecdote above be charged with - abh? disorderly conduct? I think not).

An intelligent comment is both more satisfying to you and leaves you feeling you have done the right thing, as well as affecting the individual(s) invloved more, as it is an unpredictable move and people really don't like having their intelligence questionned or having their errors pointed out, especially where others can hear.

Be sure that you have a plan of escape should matters get nasty, as you really do not want to end up in a situation like this (this blogger is a great story teller, and I would suggest you read up on his other posts):
    http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2 ... d-arm.html
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    I completely empathise with the reaction brought on by a near-miss - I have been there MANY times, weekly pretty much (London commuting and road riding), so know exactly how it feels. It is a natural chemical reaction and I would like to point this out to people who do not ride at such speeds or have these close encounters, and who may not therefore have experienced this.

I do agree that these people may learn a lesson from being confronted after they make a mistake, and it may lead to more consideration in future. Personally I think that a bike ride should be compulsary for anyone taking a driving test - they cannot really appreciate what its like unless they experience it, albeit it for a tiny amount of time. Although how anyone could not value another human being's life is beyond me.

Something comes to mind which you may have heard of - an American suggested a few decades ago that the way to reduce road accidents was to put a spike in the middle of the steering wheel! This would no doubt lead to extremely careful driving. Although not serious, his point was that with the advancements in technology and maufacturing, vehicles have become very safe; drivers feel safe, and therefore drive faster and more recklessly.

I would like to point out that in a confrontation you are very vunerable on a bike - one because you are astride it and therefore cannot move quickly if someone comes at you (reason why I was unable to dodge the blow mentionned above), and two, should you leave your bike to confront the individual(s), they could run and damage it, and although you could say that you would damage their car in retaliation, I for one would not find it sufficient recompense for damage to my bike.

I try and coose my confrontations wisely and react intelligently if possible :D
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Last post for now, but just wondered if anyone has had their bike hit or run over while in a confrontation?

A car knocked into my bike on purpose last week (although not hard or damage inducing) after I stopped to confront the woman who had turned right in front of me at a busy crossing while I was going straight on, and narrowly avoided a collision (I had anticipated it and had slowed).

A few months ago, a car approaching me turned left across my path and stopped just in time (my hand was on his bonnet). I got off my bike to remonstrate and then he tried to drive off with my bike under his front bumper, and had I not screamed at him to stop, he would have written off my bike.

Car drivers think themselves invicible when they step inside their deathtraps. The funny thing too is that should you meet them face to face, both as pedestrians, their attitudes would be very different.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • iainment
    Denny69 wrote:
    :oops: One last comment guys as Ianment is boring me now and I know you're all sick of this.

IANMENT ARE YOU FOR REAL!!!!!!, Your reading skills leave a lot to be desired. you've read "ex bouncer" and immediately formed an opinion. What the above comment says (between the lines)is that if you're a driver and you bully me on the road you WILL get a reaction BECAUSE AS THE DRIVER OF A LETHAL WEAPON YOU HAVE JUST PUT MY LIFE IN DANGER I can't explain it any easier....I'm amazed you haven't "judged" the other 2 riders who did the same thing....another act of a bully.....single someone out from the crowd find a weakness and exploit it

Not only are these the actions of bullying but it is also the lowest form of bullying.....the faceless type...it's so easy to do it from 100's of miles away where you don't have to stand up for your actions in front of your "victim"

Were you abused as a child? :P

That's it guys that's my last response, if he can't see the difference then he's ignorant. My apologies I doubt you'll get them from the other party.

I've been away for a few days - this will be my last words on this.

I don't have time to post on all incidents of aggression towards drivers - sorry if you feel picked out but if you check my post history I have consistently advocated not reacting to poor driving with aggression.

I have worked for many years in social services and voluntary organisations with victims of abuse - sexual,physical and emotional. Please explain your comment about this as I don't understand the point you're trying to make, unless of course you're just being offensive for it's own sake.

I'm happy to meet you face to face to discuss these matters if that's what you want.

I still think that what you have described and advocated as behaviour to be used on the road is self efeating and just replacing perceived aggression from drivers with your own aggression. That's not how to win hearts and minds over to being more aware of cyclists.

That's all.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    As I student on a rather crummy old racer, I was waiting at a ped crossing, shortly after which there was a side turning on the left. Metalic blue almera pulls up beside me and, you know how you can sometimes sense a car is going left when they're not indicating? Welll this car was reeking of it. As we pulled away, sure enough round he went, so I just leant into the side and left a beautiful scratch in the metalic paint. So hard to touch up :roll:

Needless to say the car never stopped. Hope he was suitable peed off with the scratch.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    i was going down a hill just aoutside a town and was going same speed as most of the cars.
    black ford overtook me at crazy speed then when in front of me broke very suddenly skidded into a left turn and i had no time to brake smashed into the back of it fliped over my bike broke a rib and driver drove off
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    B*STERD
  • I was once cycling in Dublin when a car reversed out of a parking spot straight into the road. I couldn't swerve as someone was overtaking and couldn't stop, and ran into his side. I reflexly turned the wheel at the last second to try to pull inside him, which meant that the rusty old naked axle end put the mother of all scratches along his rear wing. The bad news for him was that it was a brand new massive mercedes, and this was back in the day when they were very rare even in Dublin. He would have gone ballistic, but he knew it was his fault. I reckon on at least £1500 of repair. Both I and my bike were unharmed. Karma. For once.
    Dan
  • ollie 1
    ollie 1 Posts: 6
    I was on my MTB last week cycling on the road at about 15 mph. It was a narrow lane with a T junction about 200m ahead. I was cycling in the middle of the road as anything that attempted to get past would have probably knocked me off. Behind me was a man in a convertible BMW 3 series revving and honking his horn. I gave him the finger which wasn't the best of moves but it felt good. At the T junction, I turned right and he followed. It was onto a quiet road now but a very wide one. He flew past me and I thought oh here we go...

He stopped alongside me and asked why I gave him the finger. I told him it was because he was driving aggresively and unnecessarily so. I then carried on cycling as he was still stationary. This is the bit I'm proud of...

I heard him revving and he flew past me accelerating fast. I knew it'd take him a couple of seconds to stop and as I knew the area well, I slammed on my brakes just as he passed me. I then darted right into a maze of roads housing in a residential area. This bought me a couple of seconds as I had cut behind him. He reversed and followed me. Again. There were speed bumps which he had to slow down for - accelerating hard between each one. As I'm 16, he shouted, "I'll follow you home and tell your parents." My parents are both cyclists so would have known his sort but i was about 20 miles from home so I chuckled to myself.

Anyway, after winding for a couple of minutes, I used my knowledge to take me through a little cut through onto a B road. It takes about 10 minutes in the car to get round onto it so i was on my way. It got the adrenaline pumping and I'd do it again. He could've knocked me off my bike but it was worth the rush.
    The semicolon is necessary ; I have just proved it.
  • Had a bit of bike rage today.

Approaching the junction for my road this car was up my arse all the way, virtually alongside me at points. So I turned in, and immediately after this left turn is the right turn into the cul-de-sac where I live, so naturally I go to the right side of the road. This prick starts beeping me, so I turn around, give him the finger and tell him to "fuck off". So he pulls up on my left (i'm slowing to turn in at this point) and offers me out. Skin head, short, fat, tattoos, you know the type. He only needed a soft top BMW and he would have had the works.

I was a bit disappointed when he didn't pull into my road especially considering I was at a near stop and in a dead end, but on the other hand i'd just bought new cleats and i'd be buggered if I was ruining them scrapping with that prick.

I can understand why Sid Barras was always getting into trouble :lol:
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015