Which bike - budget £1000ish

Neilth
Neilth Posts: 31
edited June 2008 in Road beginners
Hi all, my first post here.

Been riding mountain bikes for years now (got a Kona at present) and looking to get a road bike for commuting the 12 mile round trip to my office, plus maybe do some club runs.

Budget is £1000 ish max, and so could do with some recommendations please?

So far, from the research I've done, either a Felt F75, Scott S20 or Bianchi (cant remember the model)

Obviously want something lightweight, and fast, and also want the maxiumum spec for my money.

Also, size wise i'm thinking 56cm (I'm 5.10) - that about right?

Any advice or suggestions

Thanks

Neil

Comments

• Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    The two usual suspects are Focus Cayo from Wiggle or Planet X - both full carbon with exellent specs. This question comes up quite a lot - a search will give you a number of threads to check out.
  • feel
    feel Posts: 800
    Do you see yourself commuting all year and in the wet?

Is there totally secure parking at work?
    We are born with the dead:
    See, they return, and bring us with them.
  • Neilth
    edited June 2008
    well, after far too much deliberation finally bit the bullet an bought the Focus Cayo last night online (thanks for the recommendation).

Only a summer bike really and will sit in my office during the day, so pretty secure.

Cant wait for delivery now!

Neil
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cayo is the best bike for a grand without a doubt
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I'm also weighting this one up for a first road bike

Planet X SL Pro Carbon (with Dura-Ace!)
    http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/aca ... d_999.html

or

Focus Cayo? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... ayo%202008

I'm veering towards the PX on looks alone... any views?
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • tagmnbagm
    tagmnbagm Posts: 111
    I've just purchased a Dolan Mythos with full ultegra groupset for£1100. Full carbon with Mavic Askyum wheels, and prologo choice saddle. IMO looks the dogs, picked it up Saturday and have ridden 70+ miles and I am very pleased, excellent value. 8)
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift. That is why it is known as the present.
  • Neilth
    well, my pedals have arrived (SPD SLs) and my gloves, jersey, shoes etc are on their way, but the bikes been delayed.

Wiggle say that the bikes are in stock, but that theres a problem with the chains, so they've got to wait for new chains to arrive, next week :( Would hve been happier with an option of a chainless bike, and I'd go out and buy my own chain.

Guess I'll still be using my gas guzzler at £stupidmoney per litre for the next few days then

A small glitch in an otherwise good service record with Wiggle (used them for 4 odd years now for my mountain bike stuff)

Neil
  • tagmnbagm
    tagmnbagm Posts: 111
    Cayo is the best bike for a grand without a doubt

Take it you've tried them all then :?:
    Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift. That is why it is known as the present.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Take it you've tried them all then ?

Sadly, no. I regretted typing that the instant I clicked Submit. I think it was the case for a while, but now there are too many contenders at that price.