Love Handles

Ch3rryGh0st
Ch3rryGh0st Posts: 43
edited March 2018 in Health, fitness & training
Here's a question that needs an honest answer...can you lose love handles? When I've asked people before, opinion seems to be divided between:

a) Yes!
b) No...the skin just goes flabby over where your fat used to be!

Any informed opinions on this? Ideally from someone who has either lost substantial love handles, or someone who hasn't lost them even though they work really, really hard.

If you did lose them, how did you do it? Just cycling, or did you do any exercises that specifically targetted those areas? My understanding of exercises like crunches is that they'll build up the core strenght in that area, but not necessarily trim off fat...or am I wrong?

I've lost loads of weight in the past nine months, and I still have a little to go, but love handles persist and while I'm not vain, or expecting to have world-class abs, or anything like that, I'd quite like to lose them...or at least know that I have to just get over it and live with them :)

Thanks in advance :)
--
Somewhere in Heaven, John Lennon, Gram Parsons and Lowell George are jamming, and I bet it sounds just like Wilco...

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Unless you had loads of fat, you shouldn't get excess skin, as the skin is elastic to a certain degree.

You can't specifically target an area to lose fat, your body will use it from all over, though extremeities seem to lose it first.

To be honest if the majority of your excess weight was around the belly, this will be the last area you will lose it, I have lost 3 1/2 stone in the last 7 months, though still have weight around my belly. Changing my lifstyle for good, will help get rid of the remaining weight in the next 6 moths hopefully so I am down to a more ideal weight for my height.

The simple answer is eat less calories than you use in a day, and eventually the weight will go, though doing core exercises and weights will help minimise any muscle loss, as if you do purely cardio and calorie management, you are likely to lose muscle bulk as well.

Also drink lots of water, this helps with the skins elasticity, so the chances of excess skin are less likely.
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    Cheers...I did have quite a bit of fat, to be honest, having lost 6 stones in the past 9 months (with probably around another 3st to go), but I'm cycling as well as eating properly, and taking on lots of water, whether on the bike or not, instead of carbonated drinks.

I'm with you on the lifestyle change; when I started out losing weight I saw it as dieting, something temporary, whereas now I view it as a permanent change to the way I eat and live.

The only negative thing I feel about the whole thing is that I'm smaller...fitter, more athletic, and even more devilishly handsome than before...but missing that shoulder width, even if it was just padding, so thanks for the advice on weights, too.
    --
    Somewhere in Heaven, John Lennon, Gram Parsons and Lowell George are jamming, and I bet it sounds just like Wilco...
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    love handles aint so bad, dont lose them totally!
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    Well, they're still quite big handles right now, so there's a way to go before total loss even becomes a possibility !
    --
  • wheelbuckler
    wheelbuckler Posts: 134
    Keep us updated on how they go. I'm in a similar position to you only I'm just starting. Sometimes I consider staying overweight just to avoid having saggy skin. I suppose if all else fails there is always cosmetic surgery but whether they can do much with that I don't know
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    I will...and I hear you on the staying overweight. I think (on me at least) sagging skin would look worse than a well-filled stomach, but then I want to feel better and fitter, so the stomach is likely to go, and it just remains to be seen whether the skin follows it or not.

I'm not going the surgery route, though, I'm not rich or vain enough for that :)

Well, not rich enough anyway...
    --
  • wheelbuckler
    wheelbuckler Posts: 134
    You could always go down the DIY tummy tuck route :?

I agree about the health aspects though, the belly has to go. Not just that but I'm a big build anyway and quite tall which makes it really difficult to buy decent cycling gear!
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    What's the DIY route? Something painful, I'm guessing :shock: ?

I hear you about the decent gear...I'm lucky that my build/height (other than the spare tyre area) allows me a good range of clothing, although those baggy shorts are always a touch long.
    --
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Just need to lose a bit of bodyfat - nothing more.

Mind you, if you get really toned up, your obliques start to show - and they actually look a bit like love handles to the untrained eye!
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    If I get to that point, I'll offer free training for those untrained eyes...as long as they're pretty eyes, and Her Indoors isn't looking :)
    --
  • jmeadows
    sounds like a circuit class might be useful, aimed at hips legs bums and tums i think.
    twists are good, there hip machines in gyms too which are specific. theres a good exercise too, get a light dumbell, in both hands, legs shoulder width apart and then lean sidewards one way then the other with the dumbellmoving down the side of your thigh and reaching the side of the knee. keep the lower body still though, you should really feel them on the target area
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    Cheers, I'll give the dumbell exercise a go. Any suggestions on sets/reps? 3*15?

To be honest, I want to avoid the gym on the basis that I don't have loads of time, and I'd rather be out riding, especially in the Summer, but I might look at a gym membership when the weather turns cold and rainy again.

Probably some time in June :lol:
    --
  • jmeadows
    ha, your right there, although i hope you aint! we are due a good summer eh?!
    yeh, you will feel those side exercises proper, if you do them right, remember to keep lower body still.
    reps? 3/6 sets of 15/25, shouldnt feel like you have to grunt if you know what i mean? but you should feel the burn in the right place, only a light dumbell, you can even do them without dumbell, but thats cheating! :twisted:
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    As long as it's better than last year, I'll settle for that. The weather round here has been really nice this past week, so more of the same, please!

Thanks for the advice on the 'bends', I've got some dumbells that need putting to good use, so I'll start on that tomorrow.
    --
  • jmeadows
    good luck, remember if you want it enough and work hard enough it will happen! visualise! :wink:
  • Surf-Matt
    While you need to strengthen your abs/obliques, the exercises won't actually "give" you a six pack/flat stomach - it's purely down to bodyfat.

That's whay you sometimes see very skinny blokes with a six pack - no muscle but also no fat.
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    I'm not too worried about the whole six pack thing, I suppose I just wanted to lose that 'muffin-top' look. If I did end up with a six pack, I don't think the wife would complain too much, though.

Presumably, the exercises will help reduce body fat, because I'll be burning it up as fuel? Or is it not quite as nice and simple as I think?
    --
  • steve100
    steve100 Posts: 57
    Here's a question that needs an honest answer...can you lose love handles? When I've asked people before, opinion seems to be divided between:

a) Yes!
    b) No...the skin just goes flabby over where your fat used to be!

Any informed opinions on this? Ideally from someone who has either lost substantial love handles, or someone who hasn't lost them even though they work really, really hard.

If you did lose them, how did you do it? Just cycling, or did you do any exercises that specifically targetted those areas? My understanding of exercises like crunches is that they'll build up the core strenght in that area, but not necessarily trim off fat...or am I wrong?

I've lost loads of weight in the past nine months, and I still have a little to go, but love handles persist and while I'm not vain, or expecting to have world-class abs, or anything like that, I'd quite like to lose them...or at least know that I have to just get over it and live with them :)

Thanks in advance :)

You can loose love handles. But it is very difficult, But excercise alone won't do it. You need to becaome lean which means loads and loads of fat burning excercise and very strict diet. You diet needs to be 22% fat (mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats only no trans fats and saturated fats), 40% carbs (complex carbs like fibre etc only no sugar etc) and the rest protien, the best protiens come from egg white but you should have only 1 yoke for every 5 whites as the yoke has loads of fat.

You will have to be really strict if you want to shift those love handles and it is end end to all those fried foods. And drink plenty of water.

Also remember you need to burn more calories than you are eating.
  • Ch3rryGh0st
    Thanks to everyone who posted advice, I'm going to take it all in, try and work on it, and see how it goes.
    --
  • I'm Interested on how this is going?
  • Slowly...but, it is going. I've been sticking to the following three main principles:

1) Exercise - approx 50 miles per week on the bike, but focusing on enjoying it, not just eating up miles.
    2) Eating low fat, good quality food, and snacking on fruit.
    3) Drinking plenty of water, and cutting out fizzy drinks almost completely.

How have I measured the results? Body weight, the Oakley shorts test and the jeans test. Not completely scientific, as the first doesn't necessarily directly equate to body fat loss, but combined I think they show good progress.

1) Since 6/5, I've lost half a stone. I've not measured my bodyfat, so in theory I could have lost muscle, but my legs and shoulders, in particular, look more defined, so I think (at least) the majority of that is bodyfat.

2) When I started this thread, I could squeeze into my pair of Oakley 2.6 shorts, although the press stud fastener would only stay shut if I didn't move and didn't breath. Not ideal, especially for riding, but great for scaring old ladies out walking their dogs. Now, about a month later, those same shorts fit much better, and don't pop open, meaning I can actually wear them for riding now.

3) I'm down from 38" jeans to 36", and they fit on the loose side of comfortable, rather than me forcing myself into them.

I've still got plenty of bodyfat to lose, and it still remains to be seen whether the skin will tighten up to the extent that I want, but I've started this so I owe it to myself to finish it.

Hope that helps :)
    --
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Haven't you got anything else to worry about? No body cares and no one will notice if you lose them (I mean that in a nice way).

If you are really worried you could grow a moustache to divert attention away from your 'flaps'.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Well, you obviously care enough about them to post in this thread.

And no, life is generally pretty good, so I don't have much to worry about, but thanks for checking :)

I'll keep your moustache suggestion in reserve, and let you know how that goes.
    --
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    The moustache route is a long and slippery slope, I now have full face growth. :lol::lol:

Well done so far, keep it up.
  • passout wrote:
    Haven't you got anything else to worry about? No body cares and no one will notice if you lose them (I mean that in a nice way).

If you are really worried you could grow a moustache to divert attention away from your 'flaps'.

If it makes him feel better, then what does it matter. I know if i can take his tips and get rid of mine, i will feel a million times better, when down the beach etc...

Good to hear it is going well.... keep it up :D
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    It's definitely doable, the tricky part is after the initial "push", that first bit is when you notice results fast, after that it becomes a little more gradual and can be quite frustrating when you can't see instant results.

Keep it up though, and always try to keep you waste size less than your age! :wink:

(41/34 - not saying which way round though!)
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • ddw
    ddw Posts: 48
    a great excercise for the obliques is the plank. lie on one side on the floor, arm bent so you are supported by just your fore arm, then straighten, so the only points touching the floor are your forearm and foot. try to stay like this for a minute, repeat 3 sets for each side. it REALLY works the obliques! and well done mate!
    Kona Coiler (05)
    Kona Fire Mountain
  • the tricky part is after the initial "push"

Spot on, Robmanic1, the law of diminishing returns kicks in pretty quickly, but then I've tried to come up with a plan that I can live with long-term, that I can enjoy and maintain, even if the results come very, very slowly.

Otherwise, if I'm suffering and depriving myself, and not seeing obvious results, I won't maintain it. So far, I'm maintaining it to the point of losing another 5.5lbs since my post on 4 June.

Do I detect the presence of Saxondale in your sig? :)

DDW, I'll give that a try and see if my balance it as good as yours :)
    --
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    [Do I detect the presence of Saxondale in your sig? :)

"Tommy is the smartest guy in the room........ he's also the dumbest!"
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • Surf-Matt
    Even better is leg raises but with both legs - does make you look a bit like an epileptic worm but it burns those obliques big time.

But the main priority is fat loss - you can do 1000 abs reps a day and still see very little results if your fat percentage is too high - you'll strengthen your abs but not actually see the results.