Converting a freewheel to fixed

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
edited June 2008 in Road general
It's a slow day at work so my thoughts are turning to resurrecting old bike parts I've got kicking around...

I've got an old but decent wheel with a screw on hub that I want to convert to fixed. Now I know that I could just screw a sprocket on and add an old bottom braket lockring for some security, but I've done this in the past and the chain line is never right. I seem to recall you used to be able to get convertors so this could be done with screw on disc wheels to use them either for road or track (effectively just an internally threaded tube with more thread on to get the spacing right). A few searches on the internet for such a thing have yielded nothing.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Can anyone point me in the right direction for getting hold of such a thing?
Or suggest any alternative solutions?

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,132
    Planet-X do a converter kit, although I'm not sure it'll work on a screw on hub. If you drop them an email I'm sure they'll help.
  • Ash_
    I know the one you mean and thanks for the suggestion. Sadly it´s for cassette wheels. I´ve also looked at the spacer set available from Londonfixie, but that won't leave me with enough thread to put a lockring on (and I´m not convinved it´d space enough to improve the chainline totally anyway).

Any more ideas anyone?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,132
    I saw something on Ebay recently but can't find it. However, whilst googling I found this;

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/use ... ocart5.htm

It looks like it might be what you are after?
  • Ash_
    Thanks for the suggestions andyp, but sadly all the bits and pieces on the page you linked to are again cassette related.

The closest thing on there might well be a Surly Dingle (double cog fixed) which might bring the chainline closer to correct. But then there´s still the lockring issue. I mean, I could space out a normal cog using external bottom bracket spacers - I believe they fit but how would I lock it on? I don´t think the Dingle will solve this problem, and at 30 quid for a fancy cog, it somewhat detracts from the thrifty nature of the whole project. For that money I could just get the wheel re-dished and have done with it! I think I could anyway, is that right?
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Do you not simply line up the chain by re-spacing the hub and then re-dishing the wheel as necessary? Well, that's the way I do it. Not difficult (altho' sealed bearing axles can be tricky!).

There IS a screw on for screw ons (if you see what I mean!) that does incorporate a LH thread for a lock ring. I'll see if I can find a link - but I'm not sure that it actually brings the sprocket further outwards (which I assume is what you want).

And DON'T pay 30 quid for modifying old wheel - it really is an easy job.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    I guess that this is what andyp saw on th'bay (as did I):

"FIXED WHEEL ADAPTER for screw on block."

Not sure WHY it should automatically give the claimed perfect chain line. Nor can I clearly see the threaded portions.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."