Hampshire/New Forrest

keith
keith Posts: 1,149
edited August 2008 in Routes
Hi guys im working in Hampshire from April 25th till August 25th. Im buying a brand new On One Inbred 29er and need to ride it over the summer! I will be based 6 miles away from the New Forrest. Iv heard that it has some mountain biking there but im worried because it is all flat in Hampshire isn't it?

Somebody help, il be working at Shorefield Holiday Park if anybody knows where that is.

I look forward to hearing your replies,
Cheers,
Keith.

Comments

• VerwoodAsh
    VerwoodAsh Posts: 196
    Can I suggest you check out Dorset Rough Riders or Newforce who are the two local clubs. But if you go west it gets more hillier and pretty good riding.

There are plenty of group rides going on too. We just tend to stay outside the forest becasue of the restrictions.

Also, don't worry about the apparent lack of hills - there are climbs that will have you panting!!
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    My family just moved to Hampshire - Denmead, nr Waterlooville to be specific. Is there anything at all worth riding around there? It all seems pretty flat...
  • jackmcd
    jackmcd Posts: 185
    know what you mean - I live in Salisbury and have to drive forever to get to a mountain. My son is to young to drive so has no chance of getting to any jumps.

I dont know about offroading where you are but there are a few jump sites not too far away if you are into that type of thing..?
  • indysmith
    indysmith Posts: 276
    Nah no jumping for me - I'd love to give it a go, but haven't got the bike for it :(
    I went past "The Devil's Punchbowl" on the drive down there, and saw a few bikers around there. Is that any good do you know? It's sort of like an anti-mountain, lol.
  • there are lots of trails if you know where to look. Stay away from Burley as the locals dont like riders out there but the area around Linwood has some decent ups and downs with plenty of tight singletrack
  • Georgeb
    Georgeb Posts: 315
    indysmith wrote:
    My family just moved to Hampshire - Denmead, nr Waterlooville to be specific. Is there anything at all worth riding around there? It all seems pretty flat...

Have a look at queen elizabeth country park off the a3 past portsmouth, before petersfield. Couple of trails there and more riding around the area. Also check www.mtbsouth.co.uk Many of the people on there are from areas around portsmouth.
    Also check out the velocity rough riders mountain bike club. They organise weekly ride around Q.E. country park and the surrounding areas, and many of the riders are from portsmouth- http://www.velocitybikes.co.uk/roughrid ... tobase.htm