I have three bikes to choose from

dookpat
dookpat Posts: 3
edited June 2008 in MTB buying advice
I am an enthusiastic xc rider and need a hardtail bike than isnt bothered about taking knock or 2!!

I have looked at the chris boardman pro (£999.00) or the orange p7 (£795.00) or both marin rocky ridges (£999.00)

i prefer the marin but i dont really know much about the other two espescially the orange p7!!
i understand that mbr gave the cboardman 10/10. i treally like the fox forks on both the orange and the marin but i also like the braes on all three bike!!

Ant help would be much appreciated!!
Many thanks pat.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you tried them out?

The Orange and Marin are geared up for slightly heavier riding with the bigger forks etc, while the Boardman is a classic XC machine.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    You need to try them

Each manufacturer has different geometry and feel

I know the P7 is pretty much bomb proof, but you need to try all of them for the one that suits you best
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • dookpat
    dookpat Posts: 3
    dookpat wrote:
    I am an enthusiastic xc rider and need a hardtail bike than isnt bothered about taking knock or 2!!

I have looked at the chris boardman pro (£999.00) or the orange p7 (£795.00) or both marin rocky ridges (£999.00)

i prefer the marin but i dont really know much about the other two espescially the orange p7!!
    i understand that mbr gave the cboardman 10/10. i treally like the fox forks on both the orange and the marin but i also like the braes on all three bike!!

Ant help would be much appreciated!!
    Many thanks pat.

Thanks alot! i have only tried the marin. this felt pretty much what i am after but then again i am not sure if the style of riding i do would be suitable for the cboardman ??

I wil just have to ponder lol. many thanks pat. (Any more useful information is much appreciated)
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    The P7 is a really weighty frame - the other two are better choices for XC. The Marin seems best for your needs.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    also i dont think the 800 quid p7 comes with a fox fork
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I think I'd take the Marin over the Orange, and I'm usually biased towards steel bikes.

If you could find a little bit more cash - this Saracen looks like a great package...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... id=Frogoog
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Piemanwmb
    Piemanwmb Posts: 116
    The Boardman is more race inspired I think so if you are after speed this would be good. Not sure on its ability for taking knocks.
    The Marin looks alot beefier and sturdier, able to take whatever you throw at it and gets gteat reviews too. Give them all a try though to put your mind at rest.