NO Sense Of History?

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
I read with amazement in the Home Page Review of the Boardman Comp that Nicole Cooke is "arguably" the greatest UK woman cyclist ever. I'd argue with that. In fact, I'd simply laugh.

"Beryl Burton
Beryl Burton was an extraordinary cyclist who dominated Women's British Cycling for over 30 years. "

Note especially the 30 years bit. Of course Nicole is brill, but beats BB? Might be able to argue a case but not for another 25 years or so!
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    I thought a thread about having no sense of history would be about Chelsea FC !
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    But on a cycling forum? Beyond the obvious (a soccer club I believe) I know nowt and care less!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...let's say Nicole has the potential...but she's done alright so far...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    meagain wrote:
    But on a cycling forum? Beyond the obvious (a soccer club I believe) I know nowt and care less!
    We are in the cake stop... it is the home off O/T threads
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    meagain wrote:
    I read with amazement in the Home Page Review of the Boardman Comp that Nicole Cooke is "arguably" the greatest UK woman cyclist ever. I'd argue with that. In fact, I'd simply laugh.

"Beryl Burton
    Beryl Burton was an extraordinary cyclist who dominated Women's British Cycling for over 30 years. "

Note especially the 30 years bit. Of course Nicole is brill, but beats BB? Might be able to argue a case but not for another 25 years or so!
    I need a slap for not editing that out.

I would definitely argue that BB, with seven(!) elite world championshps plus an impressive array of time trial records is the more accomplished cyclist.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    meagain wrote:

"Beryl Burton

I would say BB is the greatest UK cyclist ever, male or female.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Another Vote for B B . We will not see her like again . :cry:
    bagpuss
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Was the level of competition in international women's road racing as high in those days? (Honest question - I've no idea, I wasn't involved in cycling then.)

Ruth
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    Was the level of competition in international women's road racing as high in those days? (Honest question - I've no idea, I wasn't involved in cycling then.)
    I've no idea but I'd guess no, simply because women's racing has become a lot more professional in the last 10 years.

That said, Beryl's UK TT records are amazing, given that she wasn't using modern equipment or training methods. She still holds the women's 12 hour record by over 20 miles! She's only ~2'00 off the current 100 mile record, 3'40 off the 50 mile record, 1'30 off the 25 record, and 1'35 off the 10 record.

I'd put her on the same level as Jeannie Longo.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    BeaconRuth wrote:

Ruth

Womens cycling was maybe not as high profile as mens then .Certainaly in the UK anway, but B B was racing in time trails in the UK against men and in a word , Caning them.
    I myself was still wet behind the ears{still am} BB was never out of the cycling press in the UK . She was ; in a word, Awesome :!: Simply the best.
    bagpuss
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    When you consider that BB won World titles on both Road and Track and posted a time for the 12 Hour TT that was not only a British Woman's record, but an absolute British one (She beat MacNamara I believe, no slouch himself in those days).
    It was also a time when Russians ruled the roost, with their state enforced doping.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    That's not that bad, I once read a user comment on the Daily Express website that Hitler started WW1. As far as I could tell my comment correcting it was never posted, though i only checked once. Wonder if I still have the MSN message with the link.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days