Easto Ea90 and EC90 wheels- any good?

cydonian74
cydonian74 Posts: 397
edited June 2008 in Workshop
Anybody own or tried these wheels? Are they any good, stiff, strong etc?

Comments

• woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    I have a pair of EA90SLX that I bought last year. Not used them much as I keep them for best, and being light great for hill work. Hand built so some would say that makes them a good wheel. Personally I can't find anything wrong with them, but they are not for the heavier rider, i'm only 68kgs, and they have very slight sideways flex, but nothing to really notice in use.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    I also have the EA90 SLX wheels. Absolutely fantastic, very light and strong. Got them in new years sale for around £350. I use the bike for club runs, sportives (Dragon & Etape)
    and the odd commute. I was going to keep them for best bult liked them so much I stuck the old ones (Bontrager Race) on ebay.
    However, I am quite light, only 65kg.
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    I've just had a pair of the ea90 aero tt's and they seem very good - apart from a problem with the freehub body in the first 100miles. Just got them back and seem fine but I'll reserve judgement until this glitch has dissapeared from my mind. I'm 80kg and they seem plenty stiff enough.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    What was the problem pedlad?
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    long dull story, but you asked....I bought the wheels online from Tredz and despite explicitly mentioning it needed Shim 9 speed compatible freehub body it came with 10 spd. After complaining to Tredz, the easton dealer then arranged for lbs to receive a 9spd freehub body and swap it over - got there and turns out he'd only had a voicemail message and was obviously un-impressed at having to sort out someone else's mess.
    Having said that I have bought plenty of stuff there and went threr first to talk to him about road wheels, but he didn't show a lot of interest and didn't have any stock to see.

Anyway job done and after a 100 miles set out early the other sat and as I stood on pedals to clip in bang and freehub had gone - spinning pedals in either direction. :evil:

Got wheel sent back to tredz and they fixed it very efficiently but mentioned some incorrect grease had been used and caused problem i.e blaming lbs. don't know about that as local guy is a pretty hot mechanic judging by the high end mtb stuff he services there.

Anyway don't care, just love the wheels and hope they're reliable now. They are pretty flash so definately an incentive to train harder to avoid looking like all the gear no idea.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I was looking at getting a set of Dura-Ace 7850 Wheels but they are not available till july or august so I might just go for a set of the EA 90 SLX instead - they seem to have got really good reviews
    cartoon.jpg
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Ordered mine from Wiggle today so will try and give some feedback on them when they are all hooked up..
    cartoon.jpg
  • pader
    pader Posts: 152
    so what's good for the heavier rider (80 Kg) ?
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Indeed, a Q that worries me too, looking at possible new light / climbing wheels and at about 80 kg seems like Reynolds Solitude not advised, DT RR 1450 possibly not also, am I just best sticking with my very nice and reliable Open Pros? for the sake of maybe 300g and a lot of dosh??