Pedal Removal Difficulties

glitter_daemon
glitter_daemon Posts: 5
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just acquired a GT avalanche 1.0 and am most impressed, but the pedals that came with it are sketchy as hell so today I got some better pedals, but I'm having loads of trouble getting the rubbish pedals off! I presume they've been threadlocked on but it's refusing to budge. Any tips? I'm kinda new to fettling.

Comments

• dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    scaffolding tube to optimise leverage.
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    Get a pedal spanner .It will give you loads of leverage.
    I know this may be sounding a bit daft but are you trying to undo them the wrong way round ?. The side with the chain rings is a conventional right hand thread an the other side has a left hand thread. If you know this and there still not moving try soaking in wd40 or something similar .Assuming you bought from a bike shop , i would take it back to the gorilla who did them up to tight and make it there problem.
  • wallisdene
    wallisdene Posts: 60
    The easiest way to remember it is both pedal axle threads tighten & undo in the same direction. They will both loosen off towards the rear wheel.
  • Hehe, I have been trying to undo them the right way (I checked on the net before I started :P ) so I think I'm going to end up taking it back to the aforementioned "gorilla" but I have to wait all the way til tomorrow for that! Damn shop's shut on sundays!
    Actually, was there some note of seriousness in dhxcme's scaffold tube comment? As much as it made me chuckle I couldn't help seeing some sense in there.
  • One word of advice. Put chain on largest chainring and wear some heavy duty gloves. If they are that seized, when they finally lets go there's 42 grubby spiky chainring teeth waiting to skewer your hands.

I'd go for the longest quality spanner you can get on there - don't want to round off the facings, and use some penetrating oil. If you do screw it up, then it's new crankset time (easy way). Oh and do double check the direction ;)
    Andy - The Expat Cyclist in Germany
    '07/'08 Cotic Soul
    '96 Scott Vail
    '89 Ridgeback Rapide 105
  • wallisdene
    wallisdene Posts: 60
    One word of advice. Put chain on largest chainring and wear some heavy duty gloves. If they are that seized, when they finally lets go there's 42 grubby spiky chainring teeth waiting to skewer your hands.

I have a nice two tooth scar on my left thumb knuckle from a pedal that gave suddenly when trying to undo a gorilla's work. Needless to say the chain wasn't on the largest ring... :shock:
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    When you put the new pedals on put copperslip on the threads will stops them siezing. They will lock up but will also undo with some spanner action.
  • Success!!! Cheers for the advice guys. Oddly enough, the scaffold tube idea worked! I extended my spanner with a 12 inch piece of steel tube (I work in a scrapyard so I have loads of random things lying around the house). Yay! Thankyou again, I'm gonna go and get my shiny bike all muddy now :D
  • chronyx
    chronyx Posts: 455
    I love a happy ending :lol:
    2007 Giant SCR2 - 'BFG'

Gone but not forgotten!:
    2005 Specialized Hardrock Sport - 'Red Rocket'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    top tip for you.
    stick the pedal spanner on the pedal flats.
    position the cranks so that you can sit on the bike and prevent the cranks from turning with your opposite foot to the spanner side.
    put one foot on the opposite pedal, other foot on the spanner.
    HEAVE.

bob's your uncle.
  • bob's your uncle.

This is a saying I've never understood...mainly because I know 4 bobs, one's fat, one's bald, one's ginger and the last is my father...but neither of those is my uncle.
    Anyway, yes, erm...thanks again for tips and stuff. I had a lovely pootle around the woods in the mud, and my feet stayed where I put them...which was jolly handy!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I never understood the saying either. I have two uncles, one called David, the other Aled, but I talk so much crap anyway, that I don't have an issue with using a saying I don't get.