Shimano 105 10speed Hubs

Bluestoesonnose
Bluestoesonnose Posts: 372
edited June 2008 in Workshop
Just wondering as i have been offered a pair of Shimano 10 Speed wheels for a very good price if I can run a 9 speed casset on them until i can afford to upgrade to 10 speed?
This is why!

Comments

• dazzawazza
    dazzawazza Posts: 462
    I was going to ask a similar question.
    I'm planning to buy some new wheels, but many of the wheels I've been interested in are labled as 10 speed. I have a 9 speed transmission?
    I was looking at the Ultegra 6600 wheel set recently, which is advertised as 10 speed.
  • peanut
    peanut Posts: 1,373
    yes you can run a 8speed 9 speed and 10 speed on the same 105 or 6600 freehub. However You cannot use anything but a 10 speed on a Dura Ace freehub Have a look at either Branford or Sheldon's site all is explained there.

You may need a small shim washer behind the cassette I can't remember now but the hub should come with both locknut and shim.
    Branford 9 speed cassettes
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

The 9 speed cassette goes straight on to the 105 hubs, no shim. The shim is for a 10 speed cassette, which is actually narrower.

Cheers, Andy
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    I've use 8,9 and 10 on my Mavic CXP30's with Dura Ace hubs as I upgraded the other gears on my bike on all 3 worked fine with no shims or anything.