Shifter Problems

Nick Dastardly
Nick Dastardly Posts: 606
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, hoping you might be able to shed some light on this.....

I've got Shimano Deore Mega 9 Rapidfire shifters. Been fine for about a year, then the other day I shifted down a few gears on the rear, using the thumbshifter underneath the bar, and it stuck in position. Now when I want to shift down I have to manually return the shifter back to its start position before I can shift again. It's actually changing gear fine, so I'm guessing the problem isn't with the mech, and the upshift trigger works fine.
Took the casing off the underneath of the shifter to check it wasn't full of crap and there's nothing obviously wrong.
Any ideas? Thinking it might be a return spring but I'm not sure exactly what's inside and thought I'd ask on here before I took it to bits.

Cheers.
"The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try a bit of lube in there - in might have dried up.
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    I'm familiar with the problem, because it's so annoying. Unsure of the cause, or a remedy, but I think whenever its happened if I've either been out in heavy rain or left the bike out in rain overnight. From what I remember it corrected itself.
    spammer
  • wallisdene
    wallisdene Posts: 60
    Happened to my old shifters which I've now replaced, try some GT85 or WD40 or the likes of. :)
  • Cheers guys,
    I gave them a spray of WD40 when I took the cover off, so hopefully by tomorrow that'll have worked it's magic.....

Orange Crush!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sounds like your cables have crap between the inners and outers, give them a clean and lube.
  • FENNER
    FENNER Posts: 94
    Hi

I had this exact problem on my boardmans SRAM X5 front shifter last week and I even tried taking the cover plate off and used a whole can of GT85 washing out what looked clean in the first place :oops: but it would still bl**dy stick.I called into my local Halfords to ask their thoughts and the guy (who owns a boardman hiself) said Oh ye I had that problem on mine and he very very slighty loosened the very tight allen screw/pivot pin through the levers . SORTED !! Works perfect now .

Dont know if this is a possible cause on yours but thought I'd mention it.

Laters
  • Cheers for the extra ideas. Just been out for a quick spin and the WD40 seems to have done the trick. It had been sat out in the rain for a few hours last week so must've seized up.

Orange Crush!