Parsley Hay and High Peak Trail

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited June 2008 in The bottom bracket
Hi,
I would post this in the Family section but nobody seems to read it much...

Does anyone know anything about Parsley Hay? I'll be up in Derbyshire in July and want to take my son for a ride (he's 7 and is relatively experienced in riding a geared bike).
I want to know:
1. What kind of bikes are available, and are they any good?
2. Is the High Peak trail ok for kids? (flat, decent surface etc.)
3. How much bike traffic can I expect on a weekday in the school holidays?
4.Any places to stop for food, or is it best to take our own?
5. Any other tips appreciated.

Many thanks,
Steve
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    1- Think it is front suspension mtbs - never hired one but they look clean enough.
    2 - Yes absolutely fine - the end near Cromford has a couple of hills but anywhere between Ashbourne and Middleton Top is pretty flat (bar one fairly short hill near Middleton Top which my not that sporty 9 year old daughter can ride up OK). Loads of kids out riding on the trail and plenty younger than yours.
    3 - There are quite a few people out on it but it's not nose to tail.
    4 - Yes you can get food on the trail at Tissington, Parsley Hay and Middleton Top. There used to be a couple of farms that did food but I couldn't say if there still is but those three are definites. Only Middleton has tables inside though and don't expect much - more snacks than a meal.
    5 - Not really - avoid riding round Carsington reservoir as it's far too hilly and technical for youngish kids - saw one come a right cropper on a bike when I was out walking earlier this year. Note that the trail is mostly very very slightly uphill from the Ashbourne end towards Middleton - from Middleton there are two big downhills to Cromford.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pottssteve
    Thanks for your help, Tom. :D
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    If start on the Tissington FROM Ashbourne.... then way back is downhill and thus more youngster-friendly!

Taken both mine on it (once on hire bikes) in the past - lovely riding.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • pottssteve
    Thanks, meagain.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    meagain wrote:
    If start on the Tissington FROM Ashbourne.... then way back is downhill and thus more youngster-friendly!

Taken both mine on it (once on hire bikes) in the past - lovely riding.

that bit is the Tissington Trail, but if you decide to do that Steve meagain's advice is spot on. It doesn't seem too bad when you look at it but from Ashbourne it is gently uphill for about 10 miles, which makes the outward journey slower going than the way back!

As Tom has said if you want to do High Peak to Middleton Top is probably best, if you go beyond this down towards Cromford there are a couple of very steep downhills (and obviously back uphills!) that haven't got great surfaces because they get washed away by the rain.

I think there are more cafe stops on the Tissington Trail than High Peak Trail.
  • pottssteve
    Thanks again,
    My plan is to hire the bikes from Parsley Hay and taking it from there - I'll get a map!
  • bagpusscp
    bagpusscp Posts: 2,907
    Good food in Ashbourne. :P :wink: Several cafes on or just off both trails .Whilst you are in the area, try to fit in the Manifold way trail .An out an back ride and pancake flat.Plenty of cafe stops .IMO it is the most scenic of the three trails .
    bagpuss
  • pottssteve
    Thank you all for your help. Any more tips, please keep them coming!
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    http://www.dms-visitpeakdistrict.com/th ... &easi=true

...the Manifold track, there and back, rates as one of my all time favourite rides...it is great for children...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...