I have broken my bike today..

time666
time666 Posts: 20
edited June 2008 in MTB general
Having been to llandegla for the zillionth time to induct my newbie mate to the pleasure's of mtb (he was greeted by 2 ambulance's leaving the car park on arrival ! )

i have had me first major failure..

after a small jump at the end of the ride my rear mech decided to get in together with the rear wheel and mingled.

result was the mech enters the rear wheel's personal space and took out a few spokes, wound the derailure round and sheered off completely complete with rear gear cable snapped off and twisted chain in the drama too, which was quite impressive considering. (scratched me bike and bent my nice CNC'd trick yellow jocky wheels also - gutted)

i now have to replace: 1No rear wheel - Rear mech - Rear Mech hanger - Rear Gear cable & chain.

gone to llandegla for the zillionth time to induct my newbie mate to the pleasure's of mtb i have had me first major failure..

after a small jump at the end of the ride my rear mech decided to get in together with the rear wheel and mingled.

result was the mech enters the rear wheel's personal space and took out a few spokes, wound the derailleur round and sheered off completely complete with rear gear cable snapped off and twisted chain in the drama too, which was quite impressive considering. (scratched me bike and bent my nice CNC'd trick yellow jocky wheels also - gutted) :oops:

i now have to replace: 1No rear wheel - Rear mech - Rear Mech hanger - Rear Gear cable & chain.
:wink:
Please can anyone help out on some Q's before i order my new goodies?

1. Rear Mech - whats low normal and top normal? My old derailure when cable disconnected would sit on the smallest rear chain ring on the cassette.

2. If top normal means at rest will sit in the larger rear chain ring - will this work with all shifters - i have LX model shifters

3. i was thinking of getting a shadow mech (XT) but it does not say that it is rapid rise - is rapid rise where u can shift 3 or so chains rings in one push of the trigger? (think this only works when shifting up on mine to the larger chain rings - not down) i would like to keep this feature so sack it if it cant do the same.

4. Short cage style - is this copatible with any all shifters as seems logical to go with a shorter cage unless anyone can advise a negative here?

5. Gear hanger - are these standard issue of specific from the manufacturer of the bike frame?

Many thanks if you can help out on any of the above Q's - at least i can now justify some new goodies for the bike!

oh and lastly was going to go with Mavic XM819 rims as tubeless ready but prefer the DT swiss XR4.2 or EX5.1 rims - are the DT's tubeless rims as nothing states that in the advert i seen? Which would you go with for XC/ All mountain use for a light rider?

Again much appreciate any help / answers or advice.
My Mule (spesh S-Works Stumpy FSR) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8971670@N02/571519788/

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    1+2: your mech is a top normal and with normal triggers, thats the best way, the small trigger moves you into higher gears, bottom normal means the small trigger will shift to a lower gear as the return spring on the mech moves the chain towards the bigger cog.

3: the number of shifts is dictated by your triggers, not the mech, rapid rise refers to low normal (tis just another term)

4: short mech is for use with a single ring up front (for the most part) if you are using 3 rings at the front, get a long cage.

5, depends on the bike but for the most part, the hanger will be specific to your frame and any spesh dealer should be able to source you one.

the dt swiss rims are not tubeless but there is a dt kit which converts it's own brand rims to run tubelss. is about 25 quid i think
    i run 819s and think they are the biz, ive not had them for long but they are supposed to be a tough cross mountain rims and is the reason i got them in particular.
  • time666
    time666 Posts: 20
    Many thanks sheepsteeth

sorted on what to buy now - ta
    My Mule (spesh S-Works Stumpy FSR) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/8971670@N02/571519788/
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    do you really need a new rear wheel? If you can just replace the spokes, you could save yourself some cash.