Brompton on Buses?

meagain
meagain Posts: 2,331
edited May 2008 in Commuting chat
Not strictly "commuting" (don't do it anymore), but here seems best place to "ask".

Bromptons and trains seems clear enough - certainly would not be a problem on any I might use (in fact I take 22" framed BIG bike on local network). However, the main reason I'm thinking of a folder is that as from August I get free BUS travel (can't think of any other advantages of growing old, so I intend making the most of it!). In terms of size/weight a Brompton (and maybe other folders?) is certainly no "bigger" than many cases etc that folk take on a bus (never mind double baby buggies), but do bus operators object to bikes per se? Do they have to be disguised in bags?

Any comments welcome, please! Especially if anyone has experience in Nottingham and surroundings.

Thanks.
d.j.
"Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."

Comments

• whome
    whome Posts: 167
    I am not personally experienced in these things, but the stories on here and elsewhere would suggest that
    - disguising it in a bag is worthwhile
    - most buses don't not allow full size cycles (and some might take that to mean folders too) or have a driver discretion rule on cycles.

I have a feeling I read about someone having an issue with a bus driver in Nottingham...
    Training, highway design and increasing cycle numbers are important to safety. Helmets are just a red herring.
  • JavaBob
    JavaBob Posts: 148
    Never had any problem bringing my Brompton onto the bus. However Bromptons are heavy and I do strain my right elbow lifting it onto the baggage area above the bus's left front wheel. This is probably my fault for holding my actual bags in my left hand when lifting.
  • NorwegianBlue
    NorwegianBlue Posts: 484
    You would have to read the conditions of carriage of the individual bus company and the local PTE to be clear on the point. Most bus companies do, however, have a condition that luggage of any sort can only be carried if there is luggage space to carry it and that luggage can not obstruct the aisles or seating. So banging your Brompton on the seat next to you is probably not on.

As long as the bus is quiet and likely to remain so most drivers are pretty easy going. I've carried bulky stuff that breached the conditions of carriage on a quiet bus with no problems.

A bag is a nice idea anyway, on a wet day the driver might not want a wet and dirty bike in his luggage rack.
    "Swearing, it turns out, is big and clever" - Jarvis Cocker