Do it up or scrap it??

Where are my stabilisers?
edited June 2008 in MTB general
I was about to throw my mum's old rigid "mountain" bike in the skip but now i'm having second thoughts and am thinking I might do it up. It's a really bad bike, steel frame with terible grip shift gears and spongy brakes. Does anyone think it's worth basically rebuilding it? I was thinking i'd get rid of the grip shift and replace it with levers for starters - will this be easy?.

I wont bother trying to put a fork on it and stuff, maybe make it into a hybrid or something. My mum prob wont ride it much so I might try and sell it - thing is, it prob wont sell for much so I might be wasting my money. On the other hand, it's good practice and will help my maintenance skills!!

Any thoughts/advice?

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    What frame is it?
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • MontanaGMT
    MontanaGMT Posts: 36
    Sounds like a bad idea to me. Scrap it IMO. The bike will be worth less than the parts. UNLESS you can get cheap s/h parts.
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    tramp/river jump bike? 8)
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"
  • I don't even know what brand it is - something unheard of! Think it only cost just over £100 when new

I have been looking at part prices and the parts would def be worth more than the bike even if they were really cheap. I dont really want to spend a lot on it just trying to get the weight down if you know what i mean, coz it still wouldn't be worth much.

Hmm, I didn't think about single speed before - that could be easier. Then just up grade the brakes and wheels.

I think i'll def do something with it because if I botch it up, it wont matter coz it's just an old bike. I'll improve my maintenance skills and I can always keep the parts as spares for my bike, or sell them on after!