Avid Juicy 3 replacement pistons

Chobber
Chobber Posts: 38
edited June 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Anybody know where on-line to buy some replacement Juicy 3 pistons?

A search on this forum suggested CRC sell them for "naff all" but the only thing I can find is a Juicy 5 spares kit for £29 with several parts I don't need (and for that price I may as well buy a whole new caliper).

Have tried CRC, Wiggle, UK Bikestore and 'Googled' with little sucess.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why do you need new pistons?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chobber
    Hi Nick,

Well, one had seized although managed to free it slightly (but not fully) using advice from this forum (invaluable).

In freeing up the seized piston, the other pushed beyond its seal, so I now need to bleed which again is not a problem (have the bleed kit on order from CRC).

I figured if I've got to bleed anyway, and one piston is not as free as it could be, it might be as easy to give the caliper more of an overhaul by giving the seals a good clean and lubricate.

What I didn't want to do is commence the job, find the existing pistons/seals are worn/damaged and not have a spare set to hand. However, if a spare set are much more than, say £10, I might just bleed and hope it frees up on its own now I've partially freed it.

Chris
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just get the seal kit. the chances of the piston are zero if you can not see any damage.
    and sticky pistons do free up in time. bleed the brakes, zip tye the free one so it wont move and work the stiff on in and out.

or strip lube the seals and fit to gether.

how old is the brake?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • newbiketime
    newbiketime Posts: 79
    You get all the parts from Fisher Outdoor. The pistons are so stiff in all the Juicy brakes that they often feel like there stuck when there not. There next to impossible to get out of a brand new pair never mined if they really are stuck. I would try just giving at all a good clean and reassembling. It does not take long to strip it again if it does not work after that.
  • Chobber
    Thanks Both,

Seems more sensible to take one step at a time: persevere with trying to free it up and if it still does not work, strip and lube, failing that replace the seals.

Nick, thanks for the suggestion of using zip ties, far easier than other methods I'd tried for holding one piston in place.

Newbiketime, agree they are incredibly stiff. It can be quite hard forcing the pistons back into the caliper. They're only a year old but I'd assumed the stiffness was due to the very grotty conditions they've been subjected to. Thanks for the Fisher Outdoor link.

Chris
  • simon_ramsey
    simon_ramsey Posts: 116
    Chobber - Nick asked how old they were ?? Avid Warranty their brakes for two years I had similar problems with some Juicy 7's and Avid fixed them for free under the warranty.

The only downside was that I didn't have a brake for 10 days whilst the caliper was being serviced.
  • Chobber
    Hi Simon,

A year old, but all fixed now, bled them (had to do it several times until it was right, and worked the seized one free.

Didn't know they were warrantied for two years though, will keep that in mind.

Thanks
    Chobber
  • simon_ramsey
    simon_ramsey Posts: 116
    Well done mate - I only got my LBS to send them back under warranty as there was no other option. I had completely taken mine apart as per the Avid service manual but the piston seals were shot and I didn't have the tools to get the piston out. (You need an air chuck) Learn't a lot about how Disc Brakes work so stuff like bleeding them or allgning the caliper is a 5 minute job.

I'm out down Swinley Forest today so hopefully the mechanical gremlins will keep away !!