Rs Revelation 426 coil u-turn or Reba race?

gkf9
gkf9 Posts: 176
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
Im looking to upgrade my forks in the next month or so

Im riding a Gt Ava 1.0 with the Suntour X100 fork...100mm travel

Really like the 2 mentioned forks in the title, Can anyone point me towards the right choice?

I mainly do Xc trails etc nothing really serious...but would like to have the right fork incase i need it.

Now i know the RS Rev as adjustable Travel and is spring coil..but the Reba race is set at 100mm Travel and is air sprung..Would it be best to have adjustable travel, not sure if my bike should go any more than 100mm? or should i go for the Reba that is non ajust?

I like the colour of the Reba race to go with my bike more. (sad i know)

Thanks for any input :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the Reba, it is also All travel so it is possible to change the travel of the fork at a service.

Also look at the reba SL.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ed 81
    Ed 81 Posts: 200
    edited May 2008
    The Revelations worked for me.

27052008231mf0.jpg
  • gkf9
    gkf9 Posts: 176
    Ed 81 wrote:
    The Revelations worked for me.

27052008231vi5.th.jpg
    z

Is all ok when you put more travel on...does it still handle ok?

Really am stuck between the two..the Rev is cheaper as well :roll:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    If you want it just for XC then the Reba. If you want to do slightly heaver riding then the Rev.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Avalanche is warrantied for upto 130mm of travel. It is quite slack at that setting though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have ridden an avalanche expert which was fitted with 130mm toras (lovely fork ) and exactly as sonic said, it feels very slack but you can sort that with the uturn if you didnt like it
  • Ed 81
    Ed 81 Posts: 200
    How do you mean by slack? I did wonder if, with the position the frame puts you, the forks would be to long as the frames seat tube is angled towards the rear quite more than others, but setting the forks at about 115mm , it works for me.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Every 20mm of travel change reeuces the head and seat angle by about 1 degree. Also increases BB height. If the angles are already on the easy side, then adding more travel will make things noticably slow feeling.

Most frames are designed around a sweetspot, ie a given fork height, and work well 15mm or so either way.