Need new bike advice please

supertaz81
supertaz81 Posts: 7
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all, i have been riding for years but usually only cycle tracks with some off road stuff. i have an old Claud Butler Ravana with no suspension.
Last weekend i took it to Llandegla in north wales and did the black run with a few cousins, and i was in pain after falling off the log section, which actually hurt less than riding over it on a no suspension bike!!!

My question is, what would be a good bike for my budjet. it is about £650 if i can get a credit deal. I have seen these 2 bikes;

Mongoose super otero http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 498&z=1719
Giant trance 3 2007 http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p1291

Are these ok for doing these type of runs. i am 6.1" and 15st, would the suspension cope!! haha

Thanks in advance

Comments

• BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Giant is the better bike of these. Are you insistent on getting a full suss? You'll get a much better spec if you go for a hardtail.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supertaz81
    i had a go of a full sus while in the states and think they are great. I have been lookin at some hardtails, like the avalanch 1.0, but am very undecided whether to go for a full or hardtail.
    What do you guys think? would the money be better spent on a hardtail, or the full sus giant as a base to build from at a later date?
  • supertaz81
    ok, gonna go for a hardtail now, a dealer round mine has the Trek 6500 Disc 2008 for £599, but i was also lookin on the web at the Merida Matts TFS 700-D 2008 and the GT
    Avalanche 1.0 Disc 2008, both sub 600quid.

Any recomendations or comments welcome
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    All good bikes but I would say that the Merida's spec is not as good as that of the others, especially considering the premium over the GT. Go and test them out!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • supertaz81
    ended up goin with a marin b17, only rode it for like an hour, but is very sweet.
  • Johnclimber
    Johnclimber Posts: 92
    Learn to ride on a good hardtail.

Then if you really have to and the bug has bitten then look at a full susser for around £2k mark
  • supertaz81
    i love my bike, always have, cycled since i was about 9, the only thing limitin me has been my funds..... 2k wouldnt be that bad if i was single an livin wit my parents, but i am sure the missus and the little fella wouldnt be that happy!!!! lol. cant wait till my pay bracket allows for a 2k bike plus the mortgage!! hehe. till then i will dream about the full sus bike.... and love ridin a bike that doesnt break my shoulders every time i ride it!!!