Water in my wheels

danshocking
danshocking Posts: 10
edited June 2008 in Workshop
When I ride in (heavy) rain I'm finding that water is getting inside my wheels. I'm hoping this is normal, and that it finds it's way in through the spoke and valve holes. Do I need to worry about removing the tyre to drain, or will it disperse itself the way it came in?

Thanks, Dan

Comments

• toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    How much water are we talking about ?
    I must admit i have experienced dampness inside the rims when i have had to repair the odd puncture , but when you say water it seems to imply quite a lot . If your worried i'd be inclined to ask your bike shop.
  • danshocking
    It's not a massive amount- probably about a mouthful! I did ask in the bike shop a few weeks ago, and they seemed to think it was normal. I didn't ask whether to take action to remove it though, hence my post.

Cheers, Dan
  • toslow
    toslow Posts: 85
    If it is a ' mouthful ' i would be tempted to remove this water , maybe seal the nipples in the rim with a silicon sealant . because that amount of water in there is bound to corrode the alloy surfaces over time . Alloy surfaces fur up pretty bad if left unattended.
  • st68
    st68 Posts: 219
    saves on carrying a water bottle :lol:
    cheesy quaver
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

If you've got cloth rim tape, then it may start to rot if you leave it wet.

My cosmics retain water too... It is a real pain in the a$$ and if i've raced them in the rain then I do have to remove the tyres and stick them in the airing cupboard to dry off.

I've also got a cheap shimano winter wheel (105 I think) that does the same, but I fitted plastic rim tape and let the water slosh around all winter.

I guess it depends how precious the wheels are to you.

Cheers, Andy
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    My deep rims have drainage holes.

Does make me wonder about aero vs the extra weight of the water sloshing round.
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    cougie wrote:
    My deep rims have drainage holes.

Does make me wonder about aero vs the extra weight of the water sloshing round.

Yeah, mine too. Pretty ineffective though...
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    Had the same problem with my Cosmos wheelset, I notice my wh550 whell set have drain holes.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace
  • danshocking
    Thanks for the replies.... off to remove tyres and dry them off!

Cheers, Dan
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    My Ambrosio rims hold water but my Mavic CXP's don't. Don't know about Open pro's because I haven't taken them out in the wet yet.
  • SteveR_100Milers
    SteveR_100Milers Posts: 5,987
    Cosmic Carbones and FSA 220's hold water, shimano 500, and R3's dont. Never bothered "emptying" the FSA's since I also use plastic rim tape, and they drain / dry pretty quickly.
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    My Shimano 105's have drainage holes but after the winter there was a line of salt around them so the drainage holes might mean that salt wars the wheels out from the inside.