XT cassette chewing up Hope Pro2 freewheel.

CraigXXL
CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I had problems removing the XT cassette (M760) from my Hope Pro2. The cause seems to be the cogs that aren't part of the carrier chewing into the freewheel. No previous damage to the freewheel and the lock ring torqued up to 40NM.

Is this a common problem? If so I might as well change to a steel freewheel as this damage happened within 100 miles.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes the lose cogs do cut them up a bit but less that the big ones if they are loose.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    At the current rate the freewheel will only last 300 miles so I guess once it's worn then It's back to good old steel.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    a steel upgrade can be purchased from CRC thats what ill be doing to have the cassette i want and none of the breaking or wearing
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • rob cole
    rob cole Posts: 706
    once its marked it won't generally get much worse

I recently spoke to Hope when i broke my freehub mechanism in my Pro II (two of the springs snapped) and asked them about the marking on my alloy freehub body from using a non-spider cassette, they said it doesn't really matter as it won't get worse once its marked
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • Jimbob_no5
    by non-spider what do you mean?
    Pinkbike

2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    if you look through the rear off the cassette you will see four arms. Thats the spider :P

I thought you could only get alu spidered cassettes for Pro 2 or am i getting the wrong info from people?
  • Jimbob_no5
    its easier just to upgrade the free hub to steel then?so i can run a steel cassette
    Pinkbike

2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • rob cole
    basically the stock Pro II freehub body is a relatively soft aluminium alloy and can get marked / scarred by using a cheaper cassette such as Shimano Deore or SRAM PG-970, as both of these are built by rivetting together a stack of steel cogs

the more expensive "spider" cassettes like SRAM PG-990, Shimano Xt or XTR (£100!!!) have the larger cogs carried on an aluminium alloy "spider" and only the smaller sprockets are loosely fitted onto the freehub body before tightening the cassette lock-ring

because the spider style cassettes use aluminium alloy for the spider, its more friendly (softer) towards the Pro II freehub body, and as the spider style casssetes are stiffer under load (plus lighter) you don't get the marking on the body...

I have seen production bikes like Orange fitted with non-spider cassettes and with Pro II hubs, so its not always a consumer mistake

you can add the steel body, but the beauty of the Pro II is its light weight, which the steel body will alter
    check out my riding - www.robcole.co.uk Banshee Factory Team rider, Da Kine UK Team rider, www.freeborn.co.uk www.eshershore.com
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Hope should produce a Ti freehub, like XTR.
  • rob cole
    Ti is nice, but the costs of the raw material has gone through the roof

for example, Profile have stopped making alot of their BMX parts in Ti because the costs of the Ti axles had almost doubled :shock:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Hope should produce a Ti freehub, like XTR.
    Ti bodies get marked, but not like the alloy ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    You'd have to go some to force a cog all the way through the freehub splines. Remember its a functional part, not a cosmetic part.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."