Practicality of computer on MTB?

judith_sw
judith_sw Posts: 101
edited May 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi,

Just a quick question ... I'm interested in getting a computer for my bike. I'd like the Polar CS100B, which is a HRM, but comes without the strap, as I've already got one. I've seen the wheel transmitter and it looks quite bulky - is it OK for MTB use, or will it be a liability on the trails (which is what I do most of the time)? Where exactly on the spokes do they fit / are they secure?

Thanks in advance.

Judith

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    The transmitter is strapped to the fork leg and a small magnet fastens to the spoke with a thumb screw. I have used a computer for off road all the time and had no problem.
    Some of the makes get bad reviews as the computer is fine but the brackets are not up to off road use and end up coming off with all the abuse and pounding they get. I think most are designed for road use when it comes to the mounts and brackets.

If they still have them in stock at PC World you can get a Gamin 205 cycle computer that has GPS but no HRM for £49 they have been reduced from £170 because the new 605 has come out.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/518405
  • judith_sw
    Thanks for the tip Omegas - I did a search and found only 2 stores within realistic distance that had them: Barrow-in-Furness and Telford! Did a bit of homework and reserved on line to pick up from Telford today - fortunately had to go to Oswestry anyway, so it wasn't much of a detour!

Halfords still seem to be selling them for £100!

Will try it out hopefully tomorrow!
    Cheers! :lol:
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    That's still quite cheap from Halfords - RRP is £170! I got one to sell at a later date (I'm worse that Delboy!) and the idiots in the Boston store put a 305 in instead! Might just keep it now.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I've used the Cateye Micro Wireless for ages. It also connects to the fork with zip ties. I've never broken one off yet! :)
    Craig Rogers
  • Megatron-UK
    Megatron-UK Posts: 91
    I see PC World also have the higher spec 305 with heart rate monitoring for £99

Might stop by on the way home :wink:
    Kona Dawg Deluxe ('07)
    Kona Lava Dome ('95)

Losing weight and (slowly) getting fitter...
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    These GPS for bike things then, they any good?? I didn't realise they were as cheap as that, i thought they were all £200+ but starting at £50 notes i might consider one.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    They are good, but they have limited stock. PC World appear to be near damn out of them. I think they must have ordered a load in thinking they were good gadgets, but as no one goes to PC World for bike computers they couldnt shift them and are now selling them on significantly cheaper. I beleive someone on here got Halfords to price match, you could try that, but might be unlucky if they check your local PC World and find they dont have one ;)

I had to do a 20 mile round trip from work to get one, which is 20 miles further than my usual 30 mile commute, but well worth it! Still wondering if I should have plumped for the 305 for the HR monitor
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • gk141054
    gk141054 Posts: 175
    Do these mount to the handlebars then?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Or to the stem - you have the choice.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • Chris`I
    BlackSpur wrote:
    Or to the stem - you have the choice.
    Yup, look very smart on the stem :)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • LordBanks
    LordBanks Posts: 358
    Do they display speed and what not??
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    x-isle wrote:
    I've used the Cateye Micro Wireless for ages. It also connects to the fork with zip ties. I've never broken one off yet! :)

...and me - seem to be good, but I've not managed to break a mount for a computer yet. Wired ones used to break coz the wires would snap inside.

www.chasingtrails.com
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    And me!

The cables get snagged on scenery if you use a cable one off road.

I got a wireless one for the MTB and cable one for my roadie.

best of both
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • judith_sw
    Just thouht I'd post and let you know that the Garmin GPS is brill! I managed to get one of the very last ones for £49.95 from PC World and tried it out a couple of days ago. The functions are fairly basic, but the speedo is very good and accurate and avoids all wires. It really came into its own when I connected it to the computer and it know exactly where I'd been, priducing a little map and profile showing just how slow I'd really been! Pretty good for a sub £50 unit, butI think they're in pretty short supply now. i think the calorie counter may be a bit OTT!
  • Chris`I
    judith_sw wrote:
    Just thouht I'd post and let you know that the Garmin GPS is brill!
    Glad you like it :)
    judith_sw wrote:
    It really came into its own when I connected it to the computer and it know exactly where I'd been, priducing a little map and profile showing just how slow I'd really been! Pretty good for a sub £50 unit, butI think they're in pretty short supply now.
    I agree the info you can get is excellent. Shame the maps in Training Center are pants. I have looked at other websites that do the same thing, but still striving for something that displays it nicely. The new Garmin webiste looks like it will be good when it finally supports the 205.
    judith_sw wrote:
    i think the calorie counter may be a bit OTT!
    Really? Thats a shame, I thought I was doing really well at burnig cals off :oops:

Also take a look at http://www.bikehike.co.uk for creating courses as its excellent.
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • judith_sw
    I could be wrong about the calorie counter, but cetrainly compared with using an HRM (which I do sometimes to justify pizza and cake consumption later) it seemed a little generous! :lol:

Judith

P.S. Now nicknamed 'bike friend' by my husband who doesn't ride a bike! (If you've seen 'The Inbetweeners')