Brooks saddle

justintime1
justintime1 Posts: 4
edited June 2008 in Workshop
Advice please on the selection of a Brooks saddle for my new Bob Jackson audax bike:
I have currently specified it to be supplied with a Brooks B17 Titanium but I am now wondering whether another model might be more appropriate - perhaps the Brooks Team Professional Titanium?
I am looking to use the bike for medium distance audax and light touring. My riding style is 'relaxed' rather than 'race'. I weigh 73kg.
The saddle on my current 'sports' bike is a 45 year old Brooks B15 Champion Narrow - well worn and well comfortable, but the rails are rusting and I think the new bike deserves a new saddle. Brooks no longer make the B15 and I am not clear as to what the current equivalent is.
Thanks
John H

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    Swift.
  • Thanks for the swift response!
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    Sorry but I don't agree with the Swift for a relaxed ride!!! I think the B17 is more appropriate.

Rick
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    why don't you ask Brooks what they think??
  • BUICK
    BUICK Posts: 362
    I got a Brooks swift saddle for my commuter to see what they were like and I find it very 'bouncy'. Disconcertingly so. As such have swapped to a charge spoon. Not the same history or look, but a much more secure feeling ride
    '07 Langster (dropped one tooth from standard gearing)
    '07 Tricross Sport with rack and guards
    STUNNING custom 953 Bob Jackson *sigh*
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    I have a Swift on 3 bikes....never rode s B17, so I can't comment on comparisons.
    I love the Swift!!
    You might also consider a neoprene cover for the saddle and keep in the seatbag, for when it rains....
    http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/veloxseatcover.html
    Cajun
  • star_rover
    star_rover Posts: 318
    Swift or team pro. B17 is big and ugly.
    I think the swift looks better but my ar5e prefers the team pro (I have both saddles).
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    I like the B17, but if you move forward on it, the holes in the top rub places they ought not to. I like the B17 on my commuter, but not on my race bike. The team pro does take a long time to break in though.
  • Thanks for all the replies - it seems the bottom line - excuse the pun - is that it comes down to personal experience/preference. So, for the time being and mainly because I favour a relaxed ride, I have decided to try the B17 and see how I get on with it. There may be a used B17 up for sale on e bay in a few months time!

You may be interested in the helpful reply below that I received from Steve Green at Brooks - adding yet another choice of Brooks saddle!

''Hello John

Thank you for your mail.

From your two choices, I would point you towards the Team Prof, only for the reason that it is a little narrower and you say that you are already happy with a B17 Narrow.

The closest equivalent actually is the Brooks Sprinter, which is narrow and has a titanium frame. Although this was a limited edition last year and all the quota has been manufactured now, you might still find one in the shops.

Best Regards

Steve Green''