Bling brakes for my custom build?

rohloff-rich
rohloff-rich Posts: 232
edited May 2008 in Workshop
I'm planning a custom build and can't find any brakes I like the look of as a part of a standard groupset.

What aftermarket alternatives are there? Pics and / or links to websites would be appreciated 8)
An MTBer, but with skinny wheel tendencies...

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    www.fairwheelbikes.com

www.poshbikes.com

I'm pretty sure that one of these sites will have what you need and will gladly relieve
    you of that money that's burning a hole in your pocket.

Dennis Noward
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Be aware that not all the weight weenie aftermarket brakes are that good at stopping :)

Mavic SSC are supposed to be good though.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    http://clee-cycles.co.uk/cc/catalog/index.php

lots of shiny stuff on the above website including these rather nice looking brakes, i was tempted to buy some but they dont seem to be available in red :(

cb-1.jpg
  • rohloff-rich
    Yup, spotted those KCNC ones - they look lush! Tempted by the gold ones to be lairy but black would look better I feel 8)

Not 'break the bank' expensive either, compared to some at least! Those PoshBikes ones for example - lovely but OMG how much?! :shock:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    What's wrong with the Record Calipers? £100 from Ribble
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4289 for other alternatives - though they seem to like the KCNC the best.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    I'm planning a custom build and can't find any brakes I like the look of as a part of a standard groupset.

What aftermarket alternatives are there? Pics and / or links to websites would be appreciated 8)

Miche Supertype carbon fibre calipers? I think Parkers used to sell them, don't know if this is still the case.

Not a UK website, admittedly, but see the following for product description/pic;

http://www.bikemania.biz/Miche_Supertyp ... dbrake.htm

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • rohloff-rich
    The rest of the groupset won't be Campag, so why have Campag calipers?! I thought mixing grouset brands on a road bike was a big no no anyway?! :shock: :cry:

I'm sure there's absolutely nothing wrong with them - they're just 'normal' is all :wink:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    The rest of the groupset won't be Campag, so why have Campag calipers?! :

Well there's your problem, you need to use Campag. It would solve all the problems. I thought that if you were going to the expensive of putting aftermarket brake calipers on, you at least be putting a top class groupset on.
    I thought mixing grouset brands on a road bike was a big no no anyway?! :shock: :cry:

Putting Shimano on an Expensive bike is a big no no :wink:
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Parkers seem to do the Tektro, which looks remarkably similar to those Miche ones
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... egoryID/36
  • rohloff-rich
    Putting Shimano on an Expensive bike is a big no no :wink:
    Who said it was an expensive bike?! This is just a treat cos I think a decent and different looking set of calipers can change the look of a bike :P
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    The rest of the groupset won't be Campag, so why have Campag calipers?! I thought mixing grouset brands on a road bike was a big no no anyway?! :shock: :cry:

I'm sure there's absolutely nothing wrong with them - they're just 'normal' is all :wink:

Normal?? I thought all top-end Campag brakes had the cut-out "skeleton" design now - not exactly run-of-the-mill in appearance.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal