Locking up bikes

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited May 2008 in Workshop
I'm moving back to my parent's this weekend, and my bikes will not be allowed to live inside with me or in the garage due to their being no space - but I've got a nice spacious shed. Are there any heavy duty locks/chains that I can use to fasten my three bikes together. I reckon that by chaining the 3 bikes together it'll make them slightly more difficult to steal, weight is not an issue as it'll just be used in the shed.

Any suggestions for uber heavy duty chains/locks?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yup, locking the three together is your best solution - insurers will often only cover you if the locks are certified 'sold secure' - check with your policy. Depending on the construction of the shed, might be worth thinking about a decent bolt andchor - means they pretty well have to smash the shed apart to remove the bikes - hopefully the prospect of the noise would put people off!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redddraggon
    I was thinking a long the lines of

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18324

AND

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=19332

Not necessarily those exact products, but similar
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    That Kryptonite chain gets good reviews but if you're buying a U-lock then a mini one (like this is probably a better bet as it's harder for thieves to get at.

One question - is there not something of lower value than your bikes in the garage that you can move to the shed?
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Mate had three bikes stolen from his garden shed earlier this year. He has since installed an anchor on the floor, which is something you might consider?

http://www.motorcyclesecurity.co.uk/aca ... chors.html
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    If the shed is made of wood, make sure that your insurance covers the bikes stored in a wooden shed. Some insurance companies specifically exclude cover in wooden buildings. It's a typical pathetic small-print get-out clause. Even if you stored your bikes in a brick outbuilding, it would probably still have a wooden door.
  • redddraggon
    andyp wrote:
    One question - is there not something of lower value than your bikes in the garage that you can move to the shed?

Unfortunately not, my good bike has been living in the garage until the shed arrived, but the car MUST go in the garage or so I've been told, and it just fits when there's no bikes in there.

Unfortunately there's no where but a wooden floor to anchor the bikes to, and I won't be looked kindly on for cutting holes in the floor of a brand new shed.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • redddraggon
    andyp wrote:
    That Kryptonite chain gets good reviews but if you're buying a U-lock then a mini one (like this is probably a better bet as it's harder for thieves to get at.

Because I wanted to connect the three bikes together I could with a longer D-lock couldn't I?

I really wish I could keep the bikes in the garage, but it really isn't worth the aggro - It's already going to be a hard 3 months - I already get moaned at because I have loads of computer cables, loads of cycling stuff, I go out on bike, I don't go out on the bike, I'm playing computer games, I'm sending the television signal funny - you name it and I get in trouble for it.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Swannie
    Swannie Posts: 107
    :-)

I'd suggest getting some wall hangers and keeping them in your room. Or at least, the best bike :-)

Otherwise, I'd be going for the bikes to be as awkward as possible. I.E. Turn the least used one upside down, and lock the other two to it. That way it would be bloody hard to carry all three. Where as if there were all locked through the top tube, given a bit of strength, not to hard to pick em all up and carry away.
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    I've got mine locked 2 a shed shackle would have 2 destroy the shed 2 get them out
    Justice for the 96