Carbon handle bars

Brian B
Brian B Posts: 2,071
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Had my carbon handle bars off tonight and noticed scratches on the lacquer where they have been clamped by the stem - on both sides right at the outside of the stem. They are only a year old and have not had much miles but the carbon underneath looks ok.

Is there any need for concern?
Brian B.

Comments

• Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Only if they are cracked, carbon will scratch because of the resin, unless they are hard laquered over.

Most bats scratch where they are clamped
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Brian B
    Rich Hcp wrote:
    Only if they are cracked, carbon will scratch because of the resin, unless they are hard laquered over.

Most bats scratch where they are clamped

They appear to have a hard laquer all over that has a slight groove in it that you can feel when you run your finger over it where thay have been clamped. The carbon look ok though.

Thanks rich.
    Brian B.
  • Adamskii
    Adamskii Posts: 267
    Is there any benefit to having Carbon bars? Are they stiffer or lighter or what? I'd be constantly worried about snapping them when putting the hammer down in a big sprint.
    It's all good.
  • Brian B
    Adamskii wrote:
    Is there any benefit to having Carbon bars? Are they stiffer or lighter or what? I'd be constantly worried about snapping them when putting the hammer down in a big sprint.

For me it just for looks and they are quite comfy. I share your reservations about them snapping - but others keep telling me that they are pretty safe and takes a lot to snap them.
    Brian B.
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Brian B wrote:
    Adamskii wrote:

For me it just for looks and they are quite comfy. I share your reservations about them snapping - but others keep telling me that they are pretty safe and takes a lot to snap them.

I had a low speed crash in a race (<15mph) when a horse reared up and the bunch all concertinered.
    My Easton carbon bars snapped clean in two at the midpoint on the right hand side between the hood and the stem.
    It was such a low impact.
    I now just use deda newton alloy bars on the race bikes.