Which Garmin?

LingfieldXC
LingfieldXC Posts: 134
edited May 2008 in Workshop
I have been looking at the garmin edge computers but I am still a bit mistified as to what the differences between 305 and 705 are. I thought at first that 305 was just hrm and speed distance etc but then i saw somewhere that it was satnav too. Basically could some-one to point out the differences between them all for me?
Your'e never alone with schizophrenia.

Comments

• richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    See here.

Basically...

Both are part of the Edge series. The 705 adds:
    Maps
    Larger screen
    Longer battery life
    Colour
    Power meter compatable

The most significant being the ability to have maps.
    Rich
  • LingfieldXC
    does the 305 give you directions tho?
    what is the advantage to having a map?
    what is the general consensus. is it worth the extra money?
  • DA_BURB
    DA_BURB Posts: 25
    Have just bought a 705 with HRM & Cadence, (from Handtec for £245! and yes it is the european model) and I think the difference re directions is that the 305 will fllow a route you have put into it butthe 705 will calculate a route between two points and show you that on a map.

BTW, if any one knows how to load Navigator maps onto a SD Micro card from the CD Ronm, could they let me know?

DB
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    does the 305 give you directions tho?
    Yes, but only if you have preprogrammed a route at home on your pc. Fine if you want to cycle a pre-planned route (i.e. a sportive). But if you are out and about and just decide you want to go home it will not guide you.
    what is the advantage to having a map?
    You can see where you are and decede where to go.
    what is the general consensus. is it worth the extra money?
    It depends what you are going to use the unit for. I use it mainly for recording routes and navigating on sportives and the 205/305 is fine.
    Rich
  • LingfieldXC
    thanks - question answered - i think it will be the 705 then.