Telescopic seat post

mark62
mark62 Posts: 123
edited May 2008 in MTB general
Hi
Any one know where I can get one? I'v seen a few in pictures but wonder if there home made?

Cheers
cheers

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    dhxcme wrote:
    crank bros
    £170, not available till the end of July have to pay extra for the remote kit, completely untested long term too.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dhxcme
    dhxcme Posts: 1,467
    I didn't say they were worth th packaging they come it. I just saying that is where you can get them.
  • Andy B
    Gravity dropper & Speedball seatposts are tried & tested & available in the shops now, still £140-£160 though
  • dhxcme
    I find it hurts my wallet less to move my saddle by hand than think about buying a remote saddle.
  • Andy B
    Indeed.

I don't bother to drop my saddle at all, I have found a good compromise between climbing height & descending height.
  • dhxcme
    I move my saddle twice on a ride. Once at the very start to get a good climb height and once in the middle to go down.

Or in the case of DH tracks the saddle stays exactly where it is.
  • mark62
    Soz, I should have explained better. Its not a remote type I'm after. Its a basic manual type I need. £170 going to hurt a bit.
    cheers
  • Andy B
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 64ffffca52

Manual type, operated via QR clamp, should come in the size you need, just pulled that one at random.
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I'd be a bit embarassed to buy one, tbh.

Strange to ride a push bike for hours over extreme terrain, but be too lazy to use a quick release.

Anyway, I only drop my saddle for extremely steep bits now (and I don't ride many of those!). I find it's useful to have the saddle between my thighs on regular descents as it provides more control of the bike - and you've still got the seat for any unexpected pedally bits.
  • mark62
    Thanks Andy, that should do the job.
    Cheers
    cheers
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Chaka Ping wrote:
    I'd be a bit embarassed to buy one, tbh.

Strange to ride a push bike for hours over extreme terrain, but be too lazy to use a quick release.

Anyway, I only drop my saddle for extremely steep bits now (and I don't ride many of those!). I find it's useful to have the saddle between my thighs on regular descents as it provides more control of the bike - and you've still got the seat for any unexpected pedally bits.

There's some very steep stuff in my local woods where seat down is essential - it would be nice to be able stay on the bike and drop the saddle on the approach and roll straight in. Rather than stand around dropping saddle's while peering over the edge and letting THE FEAR creep in...
  • mark62
    Good point zero, keeps things fluid as well, not stop start.
    cheers
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Shame they don't make the things in 27.2!!!
  • Kiwi Kranker
    Kiwi Kranker Posts: 416
    I picked up an Crank Brothers Joplin in May so they are out there if you look hard enough, heck even cyclesurgery had one for £165 the other day so keep looking.

I must admit I was sceptical at first but there really is a reason why everyone(well most people I have heard from) end up swearing by them. On more technical routes I use it all the time and it is brilliant. I try and ride most things and having the ability to drop the seat on a whim without getting off is great.

Word of warning, treat it with respect and by that I mean clean it after EVERY ride, Crank Bros have apparently improved the seals but I am taking no chances.
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • xcman27
    xcman27 Posts: 72
    hi,

i do like the idear of it, i must admit. but..are they heavy? and ive got a stumpy fsr pro..and you cant lower the post much at all..so does it go in on its self..if you catch my drift?!??!?!
  • Iain C
    Iain C Posts: 464
    Does anyone remember the old "Height Rite" spring clamp things? Did they actually work?
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    zero303 wrote:
    roll straight in. Rather than stand around dropping saddle's while peering over the edge and letting THE FEAR creep in...

That's something I hadn't thought about actually, a sort of "bottle retention device".
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    xcman27 wrote:
    hi,

i do like the idear of it, i must admit. but..are they heavy? and ive got a stumpy fsr pro..and you cant lower the post much at all..so does it go in on its self..if you catch my drift?!??!?!

Very heavy - remote Crank Bros Joplin is 534g. And yes, it goes in on itself. See link

http://www.crankbrothers.com/seatposts_joplinr.php
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs