Shaking Forks/Headset/Handlebars

SCR Pedro
SCR Pedro Posts: 912
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Hello,

I have recently bought a 2008 Giant SCR2. This evening I decided that I would remove the handlebar spacers to increase the saddle/handlebar drop.

Having done this and put it all back together, the front end is moving around when I apply the front brakes. That is to say that there is some play where there wasn't before.

I've tried tightening things up in different orders and putting pressure on the handlebars whilst tightening the screws, all to no avail. In short, what can I do to sort this? I don't want to have the front end shaking on a descent.

Cheers
Pedro
Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
Giant TCR Alliance Zero
BMC teammachineSLR03
The Departed
Giant SCR2
Canyon Roadlite
Specialized Allez
Some other junk...

Comments

• Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    check this vid out mate :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRFqU07u8DE

Adiós
    Doobz
    cartoon.jpg
  • SCR Pedro
    Thanks. The video described the problem well, and I followed his instructions.

Unfortunately it hasn't worked. I can tighten the bolt at the top of the headset from slight looseness to all the way, and no setting seems to work.

I'm guessing that removing the spacers isn't responsible for the movement? Also, there are other instructional videos for this problem, all of them have the front wheel off the ground. I'm guessing that I don't need to have the wheel off the ground to fix this?

Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • briank
    briank Posts: 356
    Did you remove some spacers altogether?
    If so, try replacing them above the stem. You'll still lower you bars a bit, but unless you're going to cut your steerer tube you have very little margin for reducing (or increasing) the total stack height of the stem clamp plus all the spacers.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sounds to me as though you're missing a spacer and therefore the top cap is bottoming out on the top of the fork steerer before you are able to put sufficient end-load on the bearings. Alternatively, have you re-assembled everything in the right order/ right way round - in particular check that the bearings are the right way round - the lower bearing has the inner chamfer on the bottom and the top one the other way round. There is also a locking collet which fits around the steerer at the top - if that's missing it would still be sloppy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • SCR Pedro
    You were both correct. I have put the spacers back between the stem and the top cap, and it seems to have done the job. I really didn't think I would need to put them back on, but hey now I've learned something.

Thanks for the replies.

Pedro
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...