again sorry, Which Fork?

LordBanks
LordBanks Posts: 358
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
How do fellas/fella-resses, I'm after some new forks basically, i was gonna go for Toras, but a bit of a windfall has fattened my wallet somewhat.

My choice is:-

RS Recon 351

RS Revelation 426

OR

at a push (and a cost of a new car for my lass!!)
RS Pike 426.

I have a Commencal Combi disc, i like the idea of the adjustable travel because i can, if needs be, ride to the original geomentary, but boost it up abit for some DH/FR laughs. I sort of ride 'aggessive XC' (feel abit of a boob saying that). Any suggestions?? Is the pike worth the 3 years car finance????

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Pike would require a new hub unless you have a 20mm convertible one. As the Combi can't be used at 140mm of travel, I'd dismiss this one.

If you have the money for the Revelation, I'd go for it! It is a bit lighter than a Recon, and the air ones have more adjustabilty (plus external adjustable floodgate in all models).
  • LordBanks
    Yeah, new hub ain't a problem, but isn't the pike adjustable from 95mm to 140mm travel, so i could ride it XC style at 100mm, then when the DH appears i could boost it up a bit for some laughs?? Or does it not work like that? I'm abit confused about this adjustable travel hoo-har??
  • supersonic
    Yeah, it works like that, but I think 140mm travel is pushing what the frame is capable off, and probably far exceeds its warranty. Check with Commencal, but I think 120mm is the limit - may only be 100mm this year.
  • LordBanks
    To be honest the warranty means nowt to me, i abuse my bike, would it really have that much affect on me bike?? Is it gonna snap the steerer tube out of the frame if i run a 140mm fork??
  • supersonic
    Possibly! Probably not, but it will increase general stress through the area, and it may fail prematurely and cracks develop. Frames that use bigger forks have the extra material to cope with it, and the use.

Your call!
  • LordBanks
    I've got the small frame, so i benefit from a better top tube and down tube gusset i.e their welded together ( i always think taller riders get a rough deal when it comes to that on frames, 2 of my mates have RockHoppers, one a 17" the other a 21" and the 17" has a gusset weld, 21" hasn't). It sounds daft, but just coz their more expensive, i link that to that their better.

Mind, i respect your advice fella.
  • supersonic
    Hmmm, never noticed that with gussets before! Could be the larger frame has a bigger diameter tube/thickness or larger weld area (that funny J shape 'ORE' thing that Spesh do)
  • LordBanks
    Nuh, i think the larger frames use the same tubing diameter, but two tubes welded together and welded to the the steerer are gonna be way stronger than a large frame with a gap between them, add to that, a small frame is gonna have a lighter rider (99% of the time) than a large frame which by deduction means the larger frame is gonna take more stress from a heavier rider, i'm kinda glad i'm a short arse :roll:
  • LordBanks
    Although Commencal do use different tube thickness for different frame sizes, NUTS?? i think its called/.......
  • supersonic
    Many do, so called custom tubes.
  • LordBanks
    I see, mind, a headtube gusset looks way stronger/cooler :P .

Think i'll take your advice and go for the Revelation, sorry to twist yer melon, but floodgate? Whats this all about then??
  • supersonic
    Its sets the force required to overcome the lockout - so is only effective when the fork is locked!
  • LordBanks
    Here i owe you plenty pints for this man. I have a dart fork on at the minute, alright i guess, but loose and flexxy like. One thing i've noticed is that the harder i have the compression, the better the lockout works, this normal?? Or will i benefit from my upgrade?? Meaning, when i lock it, will it be stiff regardless of the compression??
  • supersonic
    The fork only locks out properly when the the right hand fork dial is fully turned.

With Motion Control on the Revelation, you can set the damping from fully open, progressively through to fully locked (so tuning feel) and then you can still use the floodgate adjuater to tune when the fork reacts to a big hit!
  • LordBanks
    I do turn the right dial fully, the more compression i have on the left dial, the looser the lockout seems.
  • supersonic
    Could be farked. But the sytem should only work on/off, with no adjustment in between.
  • LordBanks
    They are darts like, been like that since new, dunt matter though, coz i'm getting some revelations! And i don't need to buy my lass a new PINK car!!

ooooh ohhhhh!!!!