Drivetrain Grit

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
What do I need to clean my drivetrain?
I assume just spray a little WD40 onto it to degrease it and get rid of the grit, and then some oil to lube it all up again?
Thanks

P.S. Sorry if this has been covered before, but i couldn't find a thread on it.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That will do, buit be careful not to spry the WD40 on the disc rotors. Best way is to use a proper citrus based degreaser, get a brush, scrub, rinse, dry, lube.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    indysmith wrote:
    What do I need to clean my drivetrain?

You need -

Water soluble, biodegradable degreaser (I use "Gunk" available from Halfords in a spray can or bulk container)
    Clean water without detergent
    Stiff brush (e.g. washing-up brush)
    You favourite chain lube.

Spray the drive train liberally with degreaser. Work it in well in the brush. Let it soak for a few minutes.

Now rinse it off thoroughly with the water. When it's all clean, bounce the bike once or twice to remove excess water. Spray lube liberally over the chain, derailleurs and cassette. Let it soak again then give the bike another bounce or two. Job done.

As already stated, pay particular attention NOT to get lube on brake discs or pads.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • bpb@wwr.co.uk
    bpb@wwr.co.uk Posts: 154
    yea i have a halfords chain cleaner and use parrafin in it works a treat. 1. spray with a hose dry off. 2.use chain cleaner. 3.wipe down use chain cleaner again. 4. use a rag to wipe of grip. use a special sprocket brush for the rear cassette. no problem.