New Frame, Scandal or ?

danhx
danhx Posts: 165
edited May 2008 in MTB general
I'm going to reframe my giant as its a little large (impulse buy off ebay because it had some nice bits and I was bored :oops: )... currently top of the running is an OnOne Scandal... anything else in that price range (£220) I should be looking at?

Comments

• Johnclimber
    Johnclimber Posts: 92
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What frame do you have, and what parts to go on (and your riding style?).
  • danhx
    Parts (currently on a Giant XTC 4.5):

Mavic Crossride wheelset (Conti travel contacts/Nobby Nic depending on riding)
    XT Rear Mech
    XT Shifters
    LX Front mech
    Giant MPH brakes
    Easton EA70/EA50 Stem/Riser Bars
    LX Cassette
    LX Crankset
    RockShox Tora 302

I would like to move that lot onto a lighter frame as the Giant feels heavier than my SuperBud, lifeless and is a little large.

This will be used for bridlepaths, single track, road use and popping to the shops :roll: I would also probably change the shock come winter and use this for the muddier months rather than spend hours after each ride getting mud out of the Focuss' various nooks and cranies.
  • supersonic
    The Giant is pretty light, under 4lbs for a medium! The Scandal is 3.5lbs, the 456 about 5lbs (but is steel).

I don't think for 220 you will get anything better, the XTC is a 300 quid frame on its own.
  • danhx
    Hmm it certainly doesnt feel <4lb. It has much the same spec as my SuperBud (and my SuperBud's old wheels/cassette) yet feels heavier around the bottom bracket end (don't as me how... it just feels that way!). My brother rode it this weekend for several trips out to the forestry and was longing for his rockhopper, and I must say, I prefer his rockhopper to this as well (2001ish).

Never mind, order placed for the Scandal!

Now just need a headset, saddle, post, new cables, clamp, someone to swap crank (if it fits)/fit headset... goodbye paycheck :shock:
  • supersonic
    That difference could easily be in a few parts, but you wwont go wrong with the scandal - its also designed to be a more compliant and softer ride.

The Tora will add a pound at least over the fork on the Bud - this would be worth upgrading if you want to see a big reduction in weight.