new £800 hard tail, advice needed.

bellza78
bellza78 Posts: 4
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
iv got £800 to spend on a new hard tail, my local bike shop ( giant dealer!! ) has recommended a giant xtc 2.5 but i also like the look of the specialized rockhopper comp 08, i mainly ride cycle paths and light xc. what do you guys think of these bikes?? are there any others worth considering?? cheers.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both good choices: go and visit a bike shop and see what you think.

More suggestions in the What Bike thread.
  • bellza78
    been to see the giant, looks a really nice bike but im a bit put off by the review on this site-

"It's hard not to like the XTC 2.5. It boasts a well-built frame, tidy handling, good kit and a fork that knocks spots off most of the competition at this price. But the uncompromising rigidity of the chassis is a reminder that this really is a race bike, not an all-day cruiser.

If you're happy with the single-mindedness of this approach then this is certainly a budget racer that should be on your shortlist. But if you're looking for a bike that'll also double as an all-day trail companion, be warned: this is a bike that'll kick your arse when you're tired or simply having a bad day."

maybe the rockhopper would be better suited??? :? going to have a look tommorow.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, the XTC is a little more racy than the Hopper, but the 2008 versions do have longer forks than ones of old.

If you can arrange a test ride, you'll soon see! Even a blast round the shop car park will give you an idea of ride position, and size needed.
  • At that price point you could get the base spec On One Scandal. Super frame-very comfortable(the scandium sees to that) and its nicely specced for the money, as with all On Ones. Could try an Inbred too, but they're a bit more "hard core".
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I went from an older Rockhopper to an XTC.Both great bikes.Very little in it.2 years back the XTC got my vote,but based on the current specs,I might consider the Rockhopper.
    The older XTC isn`t quite as stiff as the current one.

For this kind of money also have a look at 2007 GT Zaskar Expert on www.paulscycles.co.uk and the Merlin Malt 2 or 4.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • bellza78
    thanx for the advice guys, il test them out and see from there, think im favouring the rockhopper though.