Spoilt for choice? - Top Full Suss

Exiled-Salopian
Exiled-Salopian Posts: 3
edited May 2008 in MTB buying advice
OK, I realise I'm lucky to be in this position but I'd welcome any advice.

Having trogged round on an old Cannondale Super-V for far too long I thought it was about time I upgraded to something more modern. Most of my riding's cross country day rides or trail centres so I was looking to get a top-end (ish) full suss of about 5" travel. Current contenders include a Whyte E-120, Cannondale Rise or Ibis Mojo. The thing is, I'm a big bloke and fully kitted up with CamelBak etc. I'm confortably over 17 stone (110kg for all you youngsters) so are these bikes suitable or should I be looking for something more "robust" like an Orange 5 or Marin Attack Trail?

Thanks for all you help.

Comments

• Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    I don't think any of the bikes mentioned should have a problem with 110kg fully loaded. The Whyte is supposed to be a fantastic bike. I was talking to someone who demo'd one at Chicksands and he said it went round the 4X track as fast as anything he's ridden.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    Alot of people seem not to like the Mojo when they've demo'd it.

weight shouldn't really be an issue, especially as all those bikes shold have decent wheel builds.
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Swing a leg over all of the above and buy whichever has the right blend of fit, comfort and grin factor.

Might not sound that helpful but they're all brilliant bikes and you've easily forgotten just as many as you've listed. The above list is what will really matter in the end.

As a Five Pro owner I'll give my token +1 vote for the Five. I will advise you to look at a the AM spec - with your larger build you will find the Pro's 32 Floats and Hope Mono Minis a little bit wanting... The Five AM will give you the 36 Float and the Hope mono M4 brakes which will more than handle you! :D
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    Some good advice there.

You might want to have a look at the Yeti 575 also. I just built up the old model and it's fantastic. The new '08 model would be top of my list to demo if I needed a new bike.

If money were no object, I'd want to check out the Foes 5in travel bike too, might be called the XCT. Surprisingly affordable for something so beautifully made and rare.
  • BigDutch
    BigDutch Posts: 127
    I've got the Foes FXR (6.5" travel) with the Curnutt coil XTD shock and weigh close to 20 Stone and absolutely LOVE this bike. I can get flex through any frame (pretty much) but have yet to encounter it on this. I looked at the XCT5 for a slightly lighter build but ended up going for the XCT4 (being built up now by LBS) which I'll use for my faster XC stuff. (big blokes can rip it up too ;-) )

I'd definitely advise taking a look at the Yeti 575 as well. Fantastic fun and brilliant with everything I threw at it during the test ride. The only reason I didn't go Yeti in the end was the Fox shock and the fact that a LOT of people round here ride Yeti. Yup. I'm a bike tart.

Worth taking a look at Commencal Meta and the Intense 5.5 but I'd advise against the Mojo - yes you can build it light and it does look good but it was incredibly boring to ride and didn't make me grin at all (sorry to any Mojo owners who might be reading this).

Have fun on the test rides :-)
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    edited May 2008
    To me I think you would want to push yourself when you get the 5 inch of travel
    and have the grin factor to go with it.

Firstly I have to put the Orange 5 forward has it as lots of upgrade options
    including the 5 AM that I ride and is only 29lbs in weight.

Also the Commencal 5.5 or VIP frame and build up yourself
    and also the Santa Cruz Blur LT and the Heckler

For trail riding I personaly stayed away from the full 6 inch bikes IE to high
    and not fast weaving in and out narrow paths etc.

Best stay with a five inch bike with an adjustable 160 fork and good for your size.
    IE 100mm on the climbs
    130 going around the trails, also a perfect balance for the 5 inch frame.
    160 for that insane downhill.

Best thing is to put your leg over many bikes and take it from there.

Happy hunting :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    have a look at www.bionicon.com there should be more than enouh to wet your whistle there