Photographing Bikes

Ash_
Ash_ Posts: 385
edited May 2008 in Workshop
Apologies if this seems like a daft question, and I appreciate that it only very loosely fits in the 'Know How' category, but something's caught my eye. In the current low-down of Contador's Trek on the BikeRadar site, what's keeping his bike from falling over? (I'm referring to the lead picture with the article, the one which looks like it's been taken on some Mediterranean promenade). I know you can't see the very extremes of the tubs, but it seems clear to me from the shadow the bike's casting that nothing's touching them.

Just curious, like. I might try to take some photos of my bikes in similar 'poses' if someone can enlighten me as to how.

All (vaguely) sensible suggestions gratefully received...

Comments

• tombate911
    tombate911 Posts: 1,590
    if you look at the read wheel very closely you can see a clip of a bike stand holding the rear wheel and therfor holding the biek upright
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I can't see any stand
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Eat My Dust
    Eat My Dust Posts: 3,965
    They will either photoshop out any cables.stands ect or they will just have someone (photography assistant) hold the bike and when they are ready to take the photo, he lets go, SNAP, picture done.
  • Eat My Dust
    In fact if you look closely there would appear to be a shadow of someone with their arm outstretched. I'm assuming this is the person that has just let go of the bike.
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    In fact if you look closely there would appear to be a shadow of someone with their arm outstretched. I'm assuming this is the person that has just let go of the bike.

And then lets it fall to the floor... I doubt it.... :lol:
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Mog Uk wrote:

It's only a Trek, it's not as though it's something like a De Rosa
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Eat My Dust
    Mog Uk wrote:

Taking a photograph outside in the sun, they could have taken the shot with say a 1000th of second shutter speed. Ample time to let go, fire off a shot or two, with plenty of time to catch the bike way way before it fell over.
  • Mudcp
    Mudcp Posts: 103
    What I find most interesting is how they got that very small blonde in blue shorts to balance on the toptube...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... 6689?img=1
    ==================

"No amount of poetry could mend this broken heart.
    But you can push the hoover round if you want to make a start"
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

My favourite trick is the upturned wine glass under the far pedal.

AndrewTurnbull-2.jpg

Taken from: http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2006/au ... rnbull.htm

Cheers, Andy