XT (2008) vs XTR (2005?)

Chris`I
Chris`I Posts: 206
edited May 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Guys and Gals,

I have just bought a new Spesh Rockhopper Comp Disc 2008. Now this comes well specced with XT rear mech, but I also have an XTR rear mech off my old bike which was hardly used.

Part No.s are:
XT - RD-M771 (2008?)
XTR - RD-M952 (2005?)

Which one would technically be better? Should I rip off the XT and ebay it keeping the XTR? Or eBay the XTR? I have been told that if over 3yrs old the XTR will now be equivelant to something like LX, so would be worth keeping my XT, but I still get the feeling that the XTR should be better.

TIA
Chris
2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
2012 Boardman Road Team

Comments

• Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    You may have bought your 952 in 2005 but it wasn't even current then. In 2004, the 960 XTR group was launched so your XTR mech is 2 generations old and is probably of year 2000 design.

No question in my mind which to keep: 2008 XT.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    960 was 2003 was it not?

but the 952 came out in 1999

so I would not be changing anything.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chris`I
    Ouch, didnt realise it was that old (to be fair I did get it very cheap)! I will keep the XT then, glad I asked now, saved me fitting it and taking it right off again!

On the same note, the RH has a Deore (FC-M521) crank and I also have an XT (FC-M751) crank. Should I keep the Deore? Going on the above, it will likely be the same answer. I'm hoping the Deore is just as good as its black and suits my bike better than the silver XT :wink: They are both Octalink splined, but it appears the XT is a little wider. Perhaps the BB doesnt suit the XT as when I did a trail fit on them the front mech wouldnt shift up to the largest ring. Perhaps its just a limit screw problem. If the XT is better I may need some guidance on how to sort that.

2012 Boardman Road Team
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    nicklouse wrote:
    960 was 2003 was it not?

but the 952 came out in 1999

so I would not be changing anything.

Probably right - used my memory instead of checking.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i had just been looking at the shimano part pages for another reason.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    keep the newer parts, they won;t have worn out :roll:
  • Chris`I
    Will do, thanks chaps. Off to eBay with those other bits then, see what I can scrounge for them :evil:
    2012 Boardman Road Team