AC Joint Shoulder Injury advice

Oldskool_Paul
Oldskool_Paul Posts: 127
Evening :)

7 weeks ago I subluxated my AC joint, basically the bit where your collarbone joins your shoulder (those who've done it will know what I'm on about). I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever done this and how long was it before you were able to ride properly again? I find I'm ok on the road and sitting on a bike in the gym but I do get the odd 'twinge' in my shoulder which stops me riding my bike properly off road.

Are there any excerises I should be doing? or could do to strengthen the muscles in that area? I was basically discharged by the hospital 4 weeks after doing it and told tp just use my arm normally and start exercising when it stopped hurting no suggestion of physio or anything. I'm just feeling a little bit like I haven't been told the full story and I'm desperate to get out riding properly again.

Any advice welcome :)
Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
'11 Genesis Aether 20

Comments

• Oldskool_Paul
    Well it's now a month since I wrote this.

Just for info, I've been going to the gym and doing some light weights and swimming. Now I'm pretty much back to full strength although I do get a bit of pain if I move slightly wrong. I'm back riding off road and have been hitting some of the tracks I used to before at full speed so I think confidence is back to normal and fitness wise I'm actually fitter than I was pre-accident but that's due to the extra work I've been putting in.

Hopefully the odd twinge I get will go away and I'll only have the lump on my shoulder to remember the whole incident by!
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Paul - missed this the first time.

Slightly different but my shoulder has been dislocating since I was 15. Got really bad for a while and I was "threatened" with surgery - so I did physio/weights like crazy and almost completely sorted it out - phew!

Dislocated about 20 times in total - mostly surfing (getting knocked around duckdiving), high diving and martial arts sparring - shoulder injuries suck.
  • Oldskool_Paul
    Jeez Matt, that sounds pretty hardcore!

Mine is slighty different in terms of injury, but yeah you're right shoulder injuries suck lol
    Paul B

'11 Nukeproof Mega
    '11 Genesis Aether 20